WHIFS found while Google-ing

Started by Spey_Phantom, March 23, 2010, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 01, 2013, 04:36:13 AM
I am also not certain if it would work at all (forked exhaust around the cockpit?), but the overall style is nice.

The bifurcated nozzle on the Seahawk worked fine.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on August 01, 2013, 04:38:35 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 01, 2013, 04:36:13 AM
I am also not certain if it would work at all (forked exhaust around the cockpit?), but the overall style is nice.

The bifurcated nozzle on the Seahawk worked fine.

But the pilot was in front of the whole engine in Sea Hawk, in the Spoof Yak he could well be cooked sitting between the two exhaust ducts!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mr.Creak

It's 100% real, unfortunately. (At least from a Whif point of view anyway).
TsAGI VRDK-1 motorjet.
Being a motorjet at least helps the pilot not get cooked - he's well in front of the jet exhaust.  ;D
More here: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2417.0.html.
(At last! What's left of the Russian I learned decades ago finally came in useful).
What if... I had a brain?

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 01, 2013, 05:00:50 AMBut the pilot was in front of the whole engine in Sea Hawk, in the Spoof Yak he could well be cooked sitting between the two exhaust ducts!  :o

Just the thing for those cold Russian winters!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Madoc

Saw that first over at Secret Projects.  Good to see it here.  That plane is just too "functionally elegant" not to love.  If the British had the lead in ugly birds in the 20s and the French leading with them in the 30s, then the Soviets have to have taken that lead with their various jets of the 40s and into the early 50s. 
Wherever you go, there you are!

perttime

Quote from: Mr.Creak on August 01, 2013, 05:19:10 AM
TsAGI VRDK-1 motorjet.
Being a motorjet at least helps the pilot not get cooked - he's well in front of the jet exhaust.  ;D
(At last! What's left of the Russian I learned decades ago finally came in useful).
So, there's a Shvetsov ASh-82 radial buried somewhere in the nose, turning the compressor of the jet part of the system in the tail?

Weaver

Quote from: perttime on August 01, 2013, 11:30:39 AM
TsAGI VRDK-1 motorjet.
Being a motorjet at least helps the pilot not get cooked - he's well in front of the jet exhaust.  ;D
So, there's a Shvetsov ASh-82 radial buried somewhere in the nose, turning the compressor of the jet part of the system in the tail?

Compressor at the front, driven by piston engine immediately behind it, compressed air goes past cockpit then has fuel burnt in it to increase thrust.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 25, 2013, 12:33:21 AM
There are photos of people walking along along the top of the fuselage of the Sikorsky Le Grand when it was airborne. But then they were Russian, which probably says everything.....  ;D

With enough Vodka inside you'll try anything...  ;D ;D ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

It's 100% real, unfortunately. (At least from a Whif point of view anyway).
TsAGI VRDK-1 motorjet.

Ah, then it makes sense - I did not realize that this was a VRDK arrangement with a piston-driven compressor (but without a prop?!) - then the cockpit position makes sense. To me it looked as if there had just been the jet engine (looked like a VK-1 to me) in the front part, which would not make sense.
Anyway, I still wonder if the VRDK would have been powerful or fule-efficient enough to drive this thing anywhere? And I have NEVER seen it in literature or elsewhere... but you never know enough. ;)
Its lines are wicked, though.  :wacko:

Weaver

There are photos of people walking along along the top of the fuselage of the Sikorsky Le Grand when it was airborne. But then they were Russian, which probably says everything.....  ;D

They were probably desperate to find somewhere where they couldn't hear the Political Officer's propaganda speeches....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

martinbayer

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 01, 2013, 11:49:53 PM
Ah, then it makes sense - I did not realize that this was a VRDK arrangement with a piston-driven compressor (but without a prop?!) - then the cockpit position makes sense. To me it looked as if there had just been the jet engine (looked like a VK-1 to me) in the front part, which would not make sense.
Anyway, I still wonder if the VRDK would have been powerful or fule-efficient enough to drive this thing anywhere? And I have NEVER seen it in literature or elsewhere... but you never know enough. ;)
Its lines are wicked, though.  :wacko:

it's comparable to the Caproni Campini N.1, which actually flew with this kind of engine arrangement: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproni_Campini_N.1

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Madoc

Yeah, imagine for a moment that Mikoyan chose to defect once in Britain rather than seal the deal on those Nenes.  The resulting consternation back in the Kremlin seriously crippled the Soviet jet engine program and they had to continue going it on their own.

Thus we'd have VRDK-1's being flown by "Chinese volunteer pilots" doing battle over the Yalu with USAF F-86s.  Somehow though, "VRDK Alley" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
Wherever you go, there you are!

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on August 02, 2013, 04:16:19 AM

They were probably desperate to find somewhere where they couldn't hear the Political Officer's propaganda speeches....

That was well before the Revolution (and it's an early Ilya Muromets) so more likely trying not to be overheard by the Tsar's Secret Police.
;)

Spey_Phantom

found these while randomly googling for inspiration  :mellow:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

kerick

Those really need to be built! OK, WWII meets Star Wars build off.....
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise