WHIFS found while Google-ing

Started by Spey_Phantom, March 23, 2010, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cafe

Quote from: Jschmus on June 01, 2011, 06:01:56 AM
Amazing papercraft model, originally posted on x-planes:

http://journals.ru/journals_comments.php?id=3646845

It's all in Cyrillic, but the pictures tell the story pretty well.  It's got a serious Crimson Skies vibe to it.

Superb build!  :wub:

RotorheadTX

From the Airfix Tribute Forum, a USAF C-10A (HP Jetstream):

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd126/andymullenuk/2006/Airfix_Jetstream_001/AX_Jetstream_015.jpg

In order to improve sales prospects in the US, the fifth prototype was fitted with the US-built Garrett AiResearch TPE-331 in place of the French Astazou. Changing to the US-built engine was enough to allow the US Air Force to consider it for cargo use. They eventually placed an order for 11, fitted with a cargo door and accommodation for 12 passengers or 6 stretcher cases, to be known as the C-10A, or Jetstream 3M. However the USAF cancelled their order in October 1969 citing late delivery

James

Stargazer

Quote from: RotorheadTX on June 01, 2011, 07:14:43 PM
From the Airfix Tribute Forum, a USAF C-10A (HP Jetstream):

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd126/andymullenuk/2006/Airfix_Jetstream_001/AX_Jetstream_015.jpg

In order to improve sales prospects in the US, the fifth prototype was fitted with the US-built Garrett AiResearch TPE-331 in place of the French Astazou. Changing to the US-built engine was enough to allow the US Air Force to consider it for cargo use. They eventually placed an order for 11, fitted with a cargo door and accommodation for 12 passengers or 6 stretcher cases, to be known as the C-10A, or Jetstream 3M. However the USAF cancelled their order in October 1969 citing late delivery

Link's not working for me at present time... Delivery was so late indeed that Airfix had time to get the C-10A out in model form before the aircraft even existed! That is current practice today but it wasn't so usual at the time.

Maverick

I had a kit of the Jetstream back in the day and promptly converted it to a mini-gunship as I wasn't that enamoured with the aeromedical role it had been built for.  Nice little kit to be sure.  Does Airfix still re-release it these days?

Regards,

Mav

kitnut617

Airfix had them as a 'Club Members' Limited Edition a couple of years ago, I bought two of them then but I wish I had bought a few more.  Since then though I've managed to pick up a couple from the second-hand market, they weren't going for silly money either.  In one of the boxes I found that the previous owner had got hold of a couple of Astazou engines sets, they were made by Aeroclub, and they hadn't been pulled out by the second-hand store (lucky me)

I asked John Adams if he had anymore of these sets and he told me they had been OOP for a very long time.  These engine nacelles were vacuformed but had white metal nacelle fronts and props.  The white metal was still available up to quite recently and I think they still are even though John Adams has cut back his operation.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Maverick

Thanks for the info.  When I get back to plastic, I might have to hunt around for one.

Regards,

Mav

Stargazer

Since it is now impossible to attach anything to the posts, I've created a topic on the Secret Projects Forum with pics and info (some taken from this here discussion) which can be found here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12938.0

RotorheadTX

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on June 10, 2011, 10:29:44 AM
Since it is now impossible to attach anything to the posts, I've created a topic on the Secret Projects Forum with pics and info (some taken from this here discussion) which can be found here:

Bravo!!

ChernayaAkula

Erm, all the photos you posted there are hosted on Photobucket, right? If so, you can post those here as well. Only direct uploading to whatifmodelers.com has been disabled. Using external hosts such as Photobucket is not only possible, but also encouraged.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Stargazer

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on June 10, 2011, 06:28:15 PM

Erm, all the photos you posted there are hosted on Photobucket, right? If so, you can post those here as well. Only direct uploading to whatifmodelers.com has been disabled. Using external hosts such as Photobucket is not only possible, but also encouraged.  :thumbsup:

You are right, and you deserve some explanation. For a brief few hours yesterday, the upload function on Secret Projects had ceased to exist, in exactly the same way as it did on What If a few months ago. Only difference is that overscan could successfully increase the server space, and within a few hours, the problem was solved. In the meantime, I had to resort to the hotlinking solution...

GTX

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on June 11, 2011, 05:56:04 AM
In the meantime, I had to resort to the hotlinking solution...

Was that really so hard or painful?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Stargazer

Quote from: GTX on June 11, 2011, 12:38:08 PM
Quote from: Stargazer2006 on June 11, 2011, 05:56:04 AM
In the meantime, I had to resort to the hotlinking solution...

Was that really so hard or painful?

In the past I tried my best to avoid hotlinking because a great number of sites or hosting services forbid it. When you hotlink there, you get a generic picture saying that hotlinking pics on their site is forbidden. Hotlinking is often viewed as an enemy because it keeps people from actually visiting the pages and therefore seeing the ads and increasing the counters.

beowulf

erm...you cant hotlink from your own photobucket account...........only by 'borrowing' from someone elses account............your own pics are simply 'hosted'
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

GTX

You can also avoid hotlinking by saving the picture in question to your own photobucket (or similar) account...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!