WHIFS found while Google-ing

Started by Spey_Phantom, March 23, 2010, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

A Russian train/truck hybrid of unknown purpose  :unsure: Better move aside when THIS turns up in your rear-view mirror...

And it is not the only one of its kind...  :o

scooter

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 03, 2013, 07:26:25 AM
A Russian train/truck hybrid of unknown purpose  :unsure:

Stealth ICBM TEL system?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Hobbes

That recently appeared in this thread as well. Apparently two were built as an experiment before the project was cancelled. I've seen several explanation, one is that they were mobile generators, to provide electrical power in remote locations. The other is that the locomotive parts actually drove the machine, with electric motors in every wheel hub. The idea being similar to the Overland Trains found at page 1 of the link above. 

For the generator idea, it'd be much simpler to take a MAZ truck and put a generator on the PTO shaft of the engine. Or even install a large engine and generator in the cargo space of the MAZ.

The other idea is a bit more plausible, as that would give some 2000 shp and it'd be easier to transmit that much power by using electric motors in each hub, than using drive shafts and gearboxes.

kitnut617

Quote from: Hobbes on July 03, 2013, 08:53:22 AM

For the generator idea, it'd be much simpler to take a MAZ truck and put a generator on the PTO shaft of the engine. Or even install a large engine and generator in the cargo space of the MAZ.

The oil & gas drilling outfits here in Canada used to have the generator running off a PTO for their power supply, but if the engine seizes for any given reason, the truck is stuck out on the tundra or in the bush with no way to get back to base.  So all the power generator trucks have a seperate engine to power the generator as being a cheaper way to operate them (or they're mounted on their own trailer).
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

These days, the generator is often containerized. A 20' ISO container can house something like 1 MW of power including a large fuel tank.

bearmatt

The carpet monster took it!

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Librarian

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 19, 2013, 12:40:47 AM
Not really whiffy, but inspiring for some modern COIN aircraft, from Paris these days. Like the AT-6 with its FLIR ball under the fuselage, had a similar idea for a Skyraider (but with more firepower...  :wacko:).

This has really inspired me.

I like fiddling with P-38s and I'm COINing one (along witha B-25) for the Vietnam theatre. One might end up a FAC.

Alvis 3.14159

My biggest mistake on that was not raising the cockpit/canopy. In another thread here, the TV-2 Seastar was being discussed, and it was mentioned how it might have been a better choice for my cockpit section than the T-33 one.
Additionally, the original P-38 wings are just too small to pull that off properly. Again, in retrospect, I should have used the Skyraider wings, as they'd be larger without being too large.
May yours be more logical and better planned!

Alvis Pi

philp

Still one of my favorite whiffs of all time Alvis.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Tophe

:wub: :thumbsup: :bow: Congratulations, Librarian. May I draw it (with your name) for my catalogue of P-38s?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Gondor

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on July 06, 2013, 08:57:39 PM
My biggest mistake on that was not raising the cockpit/canopy. In another thread here, the TV-2 Seastar was being discussed, and it was mentioned how it might have been a better choice for my cockpit section than the T-33 one.
Additionally, the original P-38 wings are just too small to pull that off properly. Again, in retrospect, I should have used the Skyraider wings, as they'd be larger without being too large.

Alvis Pi

Why not make a Mk II Alvis, Sword have a T2V-1 out now so the cockpit would be fairly easy to source.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Librarian

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on July 06, 2013, 08:57:39 PM

Alvis Pi

I think mine will be a little simpler, It'll probably be the FAC. I've taken off the wings outboard of the engines (which will be radial) and might use more angular laminar wings from a defunct Spiteful. The tails will also be somewhat more angular, got a pile of old Mustangs parts so might make use of those.
Really nice job you did though. Love the use of the C-119 booms.

Tophe

:unsure: Sorry I don't understand: is the marvelous P-38 COIN above a model of Librarian, or of Alvis Pi, or found with Google from unknown modeller?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Librarian

Quote from: Tophe on July 07, 2013, 06:06:18 AM
:unsure: Sorry I don't understand: is the marvelous P-38 COIN above a model of Librarian, or of Alvis Pi, or found with Google from unknown modeller?

NO Tophe, not mine. The photo is of one by Alvis Pi. It has inspired me to do similar.