WHIFS found while Google-ing

Started by Spey_Phantom, March 23, 2010, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: kerick on July 24, 2013, 08:44:01 AM
Quote from: pyro-manic on July 23, 2013, 01:25:14 PM
That one's real. SHar2 ran off the end of the runway at Yeovilton, ended up in the river. Pilot ejected.

You call that a river????

You don't want to know about what the recovery crew called it!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

pyro-manic

Quote from: Rheged on July 24, 2013, 09:54:26 AM
That one's real. SHar2 ran off the end of the runway at Yeovilton, ended up in the river. Pilot ejected.

:lol:

It is a very small river. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Yeo_(South_Somerset)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

There's got to be something ironic about a naval jet fighter that survived year of operations on the world's oceans, and even fought a war in some of the roughest waters known to man, coming to grief in a body of water too shallow to actually cover it.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

The Zephyr, by Tyler West. From here, which includes a link to his video tutorial about it:

http://theroundtablet.com/category/inspiration/vehicle/page/4/

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on July 24, 2013, 07:20:38 PM
The Zephyr, by Tyler West. From here, which includes a link to his video tutorial about it:

http://theroundtablet.com/category/inspiration/vehicle/page/4/

Holy CRAP! Looks like an unholy union of a Short Shetland, Dornier Do X, a Ju 52, and whatever else was laying around. Love it!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

Indeed.

It looks a little under-engined to me, but rather than fitting bigger ones, I'd be inclined to cure that by having even more of the same engines spread out along the wing.... :wacko:

I suspect that the artist has seen pictures of sailors sitting on the bulges of battleships and thinks it wolud be cool if you could do this on a moving aircraft. I also suspect that he's never actually tried it..... ;D

- Indiana Jones

ericr

beautiful flying boat indeed  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

There are photos of people walking along along the top of the fuselage of the Sikorsky Le Grand when it was airborne. But then they were Russian, which probably says everything.....  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 25, 2013, 12:33:21 AM
There are photos of people walking along along the top of the fuselage of the Sikorsky Le Grand when it was airborne. But then they were Russian, which probably says everything.....  ;D

That's described in one source as the PROMENADE DECK!!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

it was probably warmer and less windy up there than it was on the ground.......  ;)

- Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: Rheged on July 25, 2013, 03:16:46 AM

That's described in one source as the PROMENADE DECK!!!

If I recall correctly it was specifically designed that way, sort of a selling feature. But it would seem to me that the C of G would be affected as people took their stroll, the pilot must have felt a number of pitch changes.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kerick

Quote from: pyro-manic on July 24, 2013, 02:04:35 PM
Quote from: Rheged on July 24, 2013, 09:54:26 AM

Would make a nice creek around here. We try to keep the aircraft out of them, messes up the fishing.

:lol:

It is a very small river. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Yeo_(South_Somerset)
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Stumbled across this jet-powered Yak derivate:

PR19_Kit

That's excellent, is it a 100% Whiff or does it have some basis in the RW?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

AFAIK (and I know a lot about Soviet aircraft since WWII) it is a pure whif. I am also not certain if it would work at all (forked exhaust around the cockpit?), but the overall style is nice.