Captain Canada

Is that ever ! Sky MG ! lol Or the TR.17  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Whilst goggling Mohawks I found this.

Looks good but i'm not sure where the wheels would be.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Now THAT is a cool idea... I just wonder where to tuck the landing gear, and how long it might have to be to allow nacelle rotation?

Captain Canada

Woah....that's about the coolest whif ever ! I'd love to build one.

I could see the gear in the nacelles. I'm sure it could have some kind of pivot for VTOL, yet also handle conventional as well as an angled engine mode for STOL. Easy enough for a plastic whif engineer anyway  :cheers: :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

perttime

If you are not familiar with what else Stéphane / bispro has done... see:
http://bispro.deviantart.com/gallery/24200217/Aviation

Librarian

Couple of very interesting ideas; especially like the Whirlwinds :wub:.

PR19_Kit

Have the main gear toward the wing tips and folding inwards, then there's no issue with the engine pods at all.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 06, 2015, 06:21:13 AM
Have the main gear toward the wing tips and folding inwards, then there's no issue with the engine pods at all.

What Kit said but ditch the nose gear and go with a taildragger layout
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

silverwindblade

If it can VTOL, as it's now a tilt-rotor, why not just have retractable skids on the bottom of the belly instead? Why limit it to just wheeled undercarriage.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

Captain Canada

I'd rather have the wheels for ground maneuverability. besides, it looks like it could do a pretty good conventional or STOL in that configuration.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

I was thinking you might want to keep the ability to take off conventionally.
But then i got to wondering, can an Osprey take off conventionally?  Or do the blades start to hit the ground before the tilt angle is sufficient to get forward motion?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: Flyer on March 07, 2015, 01:09:56 AM
Quote from: zenrat on March 06, 2015, 11:44:45 PM
I was thinking you might want to keep the ability to take off conventionally.
But then i got to wondering, can an Osprey take off conventionally?  Or do the blades start to hit the ground before the tilt angle is sufficient to get forward motion?

I have not seen one ever, but from pics I've seen they can do forward takeoff's with the engines rotated what looks to be about 45 degrees.

The one I saw at Yuma doing a demo flight back in March 2012, taxied to the front of the crowd, then did a short run forward then took off. It's rotorprop was set more about 30 degrees than 45. I couldn't say what forward speed it got up to before the wheels left the ground though -- more interested in the aircraft to notice --  :lol:  (seeing as it was the first time I'd seen one physically, let alone one flying) I'd imagine the huge amount of prop-wash over the wing helped it get into the air as quick as it did.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

No. The rotors would hit the ground. They can do the rolling takeoff as mentioned though.

The Mohawk looks like it could. Not designed to hover around and sling loads, so I'm sure the props would be significantly smaller in diameter.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 07, 2015, 05:52:13 AM
No. The rotors would hit the ground.  :cheers:

Yeah!   :lol:  I would say --

Here's a good video of a short take off, although the props look like they are nearer 15 degrees (off vertical) here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckrq4ibQ45E
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

scooter

They won't even make it through the first rotation.  And at which point the old saw of "College Degree to cause it, High school diploma to fix it" kicks in
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng