WHIFS found while Google-ing

Started by Spey_Phantom, March 23, 2010, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

I tried the image search, and it works with Firefox.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

RAFF-35

The only other image I managed to find of the plane

Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

DogfighterZen

Quote from: loupgarou on June 23, 2016, 11:22:50 PM
I tried the image search, and it works with Firefox.

Never tried it with any other browser, good to know, thanks!  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

scooter

There was the C-130 Floatplane Feasibility Study done in the mid to late 90's

Quote from: USNI Proceedings
Lockheed-Martin Aeronautical Systems has completed an initial look for the Office of Naval Research at the feasibility of adapting the C-130 transport to waterborne operations. The C-130 Floatplane Feasibility Study used tow tanks and wind tunnels to evaluate a unique set of asymmetric floats, derived from the Navy's surface effect ship work in the 1970s, to test the seakeeping, hydrodynamic drag, aerodynamic stability, spray patterns, and water impact loads in tow tanks and wind tunnel tests. The test results have been quite favorable. The Naval Special Warfare Command and the U.S. Coast Guard have expressed interest in completing the feasibility study, which had been zeroed for fiscal year 1998.
Article here
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

ericr

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 06, 2016, 06:12:16 AM
C-130 flying boat, anyone?

beautiful!
with engines on top of the wings to avoid spray I guess

I knew about the floatplane version, which I tried out in 1/144, but not this hull-equipped version

kitnut617

Quote from: scooter on July 06, 2016, 06:19:00 AM
There was the C-130 Floatplane Feasibility Study done in the mid to late 90's

I quite like this option, I started to gather bits to do it, but that was before my house move some years ago and everything got packed away and that's where they still are unfortunately.

Found this catamaran RC model hull

which seems to be about the right length to do one in 1/72 scale

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

I found this while looking for something else, which I find quite interesting. It's a Canadair CL-99

Been trying to figure out what the actual wing size is. Judging by the B-52H engine nacelles, the wing could be somewhere around a Boeing 737 size which I have a spare set to use in 1/72 left over from another project.

EDIT:  Looking at again though, it might be better to use a 707 wing and all the tail surfaces from one  ---

But considering Canadair was part of Convair, maybe a 880 wing ---

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

RAFF-35

I searched for ruddy ages trying to find a C-130 flying boat and could only find the float version.... Where did you find it???  :lol:
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

Captain Canada

The hull version is just gorgeous  :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Quote from: RAFF-35 on July 06, 2016, 02:26:30 PM

I searched for ruddy ages trying to find a C-130 flying boat and could only find the float version.... Where did you find it???  :lol:

I'd guess here, 2/3 down the page: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1136.0
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Hmm, cannot dig the site up where came across ths Herc floatplane pic. It was not beyondthesprues, though, the pic was posted in a maritime patrol context and there was another picture of the concept with what looked like an MAD boom and a hydroski(!) or something similar under the fuselage. The pic might have been linked there from the same source at photobucket, though.

Old Wombat

All I can say is when I right-click on the picture & look at "View Image Info" it comes up with Greg Twiner's photobucket as the source.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Mossie

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 06, 2016, 09:07:33 PM
Quote from: RAFF-35 on July 06, 2016, 02:26:30 PM

I searched for ruddy ages trying to find a C-130 flying boat and could only find the float version.... Where did you find it???  :lol:

I'd guess here, 2/3 down the page: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1136.0

It might have been this site, Greg posted it originally on page 3 of the Herc thread, there's quite a lot of extra info and drawings on it on Page 12 too:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,455.165.html

There were a few attempts to draw up a C-130 amphib, there's also this version with an air cushion landing system, like the XC-8A ACLS:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,455.150.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

Probably be easy enough just to flip the wing upside down on a Herc model eh ?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?