WHIFS found while Google-ing

Started by Spey_Phantom, March 23, 2010, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

Quote from: 63cpe on February 03, 2017, 12:13:50 AM
Both types do alliterate well: Blackburn Botha and Miles Monitor.... :unsure:

David

The good ol' days when british firms had aircraft names starting with the same letter...

I fondly remember the Hawker Hooker and the Percival Pimp... ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

63cpe

Wahahaha.....That's great fun. Percival Pimp: I like that!

David

Rheged

Quote from: 63cpe on February 03, 2017, 12:43:34 AM
Wahahaha.....That's great fun. Percival Pimp: I like that!

David

Then of course there's the Blackburn Bordello, which was even  less effective than the Botha
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Avro didn't seem to believe in the alliteration business, did they?

Somehow Avro Ascot doesn't seem to trip off the tongue as well as Avro Lancaster, does it? Mind you, they did make the Ashton after the war.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2017, 02:59:21 AM
Avro didn't seem to believe in the alliteration business, did they?

Somehow Avro Ascot doesn't seem to trip off the tongue as well as Avro Lancaster, does it? Mind you, they did make the Ashton after the war.

I suppose that if they'd wanted to, they could have had the Avro Alexandra...... their HQ was at  Alexandra Park, Woodford; Stockport.  Then using places from  around the greater Manchester area I give you:-

Avro Alderley    A   very upmarket personal transport for the nouveau riche of Alderley Edge.
Avro Ancoats   Their first works was in Great Ancoats Street.   A simple light aircraft
Avro Altrincham   Probably a turbo prop feeder liner
Avro Audenshaw Part of Ashton under Lyme and thus a sub variant of the Avro Ashton

And what do we do with Abram, Ashton-in-Makerfield, Aspull, Astley, Atherton, which are all parts of the Wigan component of Greater Manchester?

All this before using other place names. Avro Aberdeen sounds like a Sunderland replacement, Avro Arundel for the government courier service and the Avro Abergavenny and Avro Aberystwyth , both manufactured in their shadow factories deep in the Welsh hinterland.

Now there are some names deserving conversion into styrene or/and backstories!!

kitnut617

One of my projects is a Twin Lancaster. Although it will be more like two Manchesters but with Lincoln wings. And powered by 3 RR Eagle 24 cylinder engines.

I'm calling it an Avro Chadderton
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I do like the idea of an Avro Abergavenny, look you...............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2017, 10:13:01 AM

Indeed and to goodness, bach, so do I.   It's fuelled by good Welsh steam coal from the mine at Pant-y-Gyrdle near the Rhondda Valley

Joking aside, didn't the Germans experiment with pulverised coal as an aircraft fuel?

Ifor

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on February 03, 2017, 11:30:53 AM

Indeed and to goodness, bach, so do I.   It's fuelled by good Welsh steam coal from the mine at Pant-y-Gyrdle near the Rhondda Valley

Joking aside, didn't the Germans experiment with pulverised coal as an aircraft fuel?

Yup and got quite far with it. I read a very interesting article, with drawings, a good few years ago

Quote from: Ifor on February 03, 2017, 11:46:17 AM
Lippisch I believe.

Yup
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 04, 2017, 04:53:58 AM
Quote from: Rheged on February 03, 2017, 11:30:53 AM

Yup and got quite far with it. I read a very interesting article, with drawings, a good few years ago

Quote from: Ifor on February 03, 2017, 11:46:17 AM
Lippisch I believe.

Yup

Around the area where I live there's coal in abundance, it's renown for it's clean burning characteristics. If we ever run out of oil here, the coal could last for centuries being converted into synthetic oil   

NARSES2

There are lots of interesting technologies when it comes to clean burning coal and some of them have been around for a long time. I once got an interesting trip around the then N.C.B. laboratories as they had some very close links with the B.S. ones.

The problem in the U.K. is that when the pits were shut they tended to collapse internally/flood etc, so getting them back up and running would be seriously long winded and costly. We should of continued with mining operations and just stored it, but no cheap North Sea Oil was around and would last for ever  :banghead: :banghead:

This has always been one of the bee's I have in my bonnet   :-\ :-X
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Right under my property there's a massive coal field, and it's only about 500 meters down. The area of the field is huge though about the size of a large UK county.  Before we got onto our county water line we had a to use a well, it smelt awful when we ran the water out of the taps, coalbed gas would also come out. We were told that when the well was drilled the people that owned the property then could actually light the gas from the taps.

NARSES2

I can believe that mate.

These huge coal fields that are so close to the surface are fascinating to people who are only used to coal as being a very deep lying resource.

Alvis 3.14159

I used to watch gophers digging up coal on my parents farm. I doubt they were down very far.

Alvis Pi