WHIFS found while Google-ing

Started by Spey_Phantom, March 23, 2010, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 27, 2019, 12:45:59 AM
The crew are obviously playing "hide and seek" as I can only see the "seeker"  ;)

There's someone wearing a white shirt hiding up on the bridge. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 27, 2019, 03:05:08 AM
The crew are obviously playing "hide and seek" as I can only see the "seeker"  ;)

Ah, now I see them. Looks like they may be talking to someone as well  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

The uniform is black pants, white shirt ...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: Scotaidh on March 30, 2019, 04:21:02 AM

The uniform is black pants, white shirt ...

Yes, just like the RAN officers I served with. ;)

I was pointing out a second figure to Chris, as he had only seen the dude standing on the deck, calling him the "seeker", therefore the one I saw was a "hider". ;D

And, yes, Fred, black.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Caveman

Twin Napier Nomad II powered Lincolnian over on ship bucket - image wont load here though it seems:

http://shipbucket.com/vehicles/6004
secretprojects forum migrant

Caveman

A lovely description from:
https://www.thegrowler.org.uk/avroshackleton/the-nomad-proposal.htm

Quotethe Avro 717, a Lincoln fitted with two Nomad engines installed in the standard inner nacelles for use as an additional test bed and a possible long-distance record breaker. With the outer Merlins removed and the airframe generally cleaned up it was estimated that the aircraft would be capable of a still-air range of 13,382nm at heights above 30,000 ft. This was not practical from the crew aspect in an unpressurized aircraft; figures were also given for 15,000 ft, where a range of 12,687nm was suggested. As ever the MoS was less sanguine, estimating that 10,500nm was more likely, and the record-breaking idea was quietly dropped. Plans for the aircraft's use as a test bed continued, however, with Avro suggesting the use of Tudor wing assemblies from the six Mk I airframes about to be scrapped, and the fitting of Lancastrian-type nose and tail fairings
secretprojects forum migrant

PR19_Kit

What's not to like about a flat 12 supercharged AND turbocharged compound two stroke diesel engine?  :thumbsup:

The Nomad just has to be the most complex aero-engine ever, but I bet JCW will try and come up with something even more outrageous.  ;) ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Not sure if this site has been mentioned here but it sure looks like Dizzyfugu work to me...
https://tvd.im/aviation/1371-martin-baker-mb-5.html
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

perttime

Quote from: DogfighterZen on January 29, 2022, 03:31:58 AM
Not sure if this site has been mentioned here but it sure looks like Dizzyfugu work to me...
https://tvd.im/aviation/1371-martin-baker-mb-5.html
Sure does. And it doesn't look much like the real MB.5

tahsin

Nothing l have found but would like to find, namely the dive brakes for Vought Vindicator. Which looks some sort of a comb but l couldn't download the pictures and l have to stare a lot at things to understand them. Would really appreciate if there was a picture ot two.

scooter

Quote from: tahsin on January 29, 2022, 12:15:49 PM
Nothing l have found but would like to find, namely the dive brakes for Vought Vindicator. Which looks some sort of a comb but l couldn't download the pictures and l have to stare a lot at things to understand them. Would really appreciate if there was a picture ot two.

According to Wiki, no dive panels.  The constant speed prop was supposed to act as the dive brake, with shallow dive angles.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

tahsin

They supposedly had it in the very first planes, but it didn't work out. The wheels were an attempt to cover the requirement, also used in the Corsair and apparently in Hellcats but SBD and its perforated slabs were the way to go and Vindicator never really measured up as a dive bomber. Or so it is reported. I really couldn't save the pictures and as said l really have to look real hard into things...

Edit: Actually here it is, in French versions, with pictures l could download. That's an airbrake, right?

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Vought-V-156F-Vindicator-in-French-Navy-Sevice.html