Supermarine Attacker trainer

Started by bacofoil, March 26, 2010, 09:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bacofoil

1954 and in an attempt to sell more aircraft,Supermarine produce a one off prototype of an Attacker trainer.
Due to space restrictions there are no ejector seats fitted.Supermarine claim these will be on production aircraft.Other changes are,extended jet pipe to increase thrust and underwing tanks to increase range.
The prototype is flown in July 1954 and appears at Farnborough in September.It then goes straight to A+AEE for assessment.Unfortunately the A+AEE does not give the Attacker T a glowing report.It criticises the lack of ejector seats,poor visibility,the tail wheel configuration and the generally out of date feel.Supermarine decides not to continue with the T and after various uses at Boscome Down it is retired and broken up in march 1956.
So what do you think?
As always all C+C welcome.

Ed S

Nice one.   The NMF looks good. 

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Tophe

Nice... :thumbsup:
However, to appreciate your conversion, I tried to find a source of "the real one", not much famous in my country. :unsure:
At http://www.hyperscale.com/galleries/attacker72lj_1.htm I found this :

Not easy from that, you make it very well.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Weaver

I like that!  :thumbsup:

As an alternative to it being broken up in '56, perhaps it could have had a career as a chase plane for Boscombe Down? After all, it wouldn't be hard to keep it in spares, given that most of it is common to the standard Attacker and the engine's a Nene...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Excellent thinking and building too.

I can almost believe I saw it one day at RAF Benson, coming in for the RNVR Attacker Sqdn there to evaluate.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Nick

Looks pretty good to me!

This is from the June 1950 Flight magazine.

sandiego89

I like it very much.  Is that the 1/72 Eastern Express kit as the source? If so even more kudo's, I used that for my floatplane Attacker. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on March 26, 2010, 04:48:04 PM
This is from the June 1950 Flight magazine.

Bacofoil's version looks loads better than the original proposal.  :cheers: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 26, 2010, 05:30:21 PMBacofoil's version looks loads better than the original proposal.  :cheers: :thumbsup:

Agreed, looks much nicer!  :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Like that, very nice clean build/conversion.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

kitbasher

Excellent model - very believable indeed.  Is this the 'new' Meteor PR19, I wonder - set to confuse and baffle those who really should know better?
It struck me that, with a tricycle undercarriage it would be very similar to a MB326.   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

van883

Very very nice indeed-just my sort of whif!

Van