Fokker X Wing

Started by puddingwrestler, April 03, 2010, 03:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Had this wierd idea directly upon waking up this morning...

A copy of Star Wars falls though a time warp into World War One Germany. Although confused by the lack of intertitles, and the way everything seems to be in slow motion*, the film is in colour, so obviously comes from the future and shows all sorts of wonder weapons... So, Anthony Fokker is prevailed upon to adapt this futuristic technology for the good of Germany...
The idea is to take a Fokker Dr.1, reverse it and modify the wings into an X shape (obviously deleting the top set). This would also work with a Sopwith Camel, Spad XII or Nieuport fighter; I think an Se.5a has too long a space between the front and the wing leading edge to work properly.
I did consider fitting a dustbin behind the pilot for the Astromech (after all, without sound they'd be bloody confused about Artoo's role).

*Technical and geeky bit: Although it would be possible to modify a WW1 era projector to project Star Wars, sound was not invented until 1927, and then in the form of synchronised wax records similar to LPs (The Vitaphone process). By 1977, film sound was recorded magnetically along one side of the film, much like the sound on a cassette tape. This would be beyond WW1 technology, and they probably would not figure it out. Silent films used 'inter titles' - cards with the speaking bits written on them.
Also, Sound films are projected at the so called 'Synch Speed' of 25 frames per second. Silent films where projected using a hand cranked projector, so speed varied, but hovered around 16 frames per second. This is why silent films always look too fast to us - we project them at the wrong speed. The reverse would be true of a sound film projected on silent equipment.
Don't say I never tell you anything.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

dragon

But, wouldn't the spandau machine guns be more difficult to re-load if put on the ends of the wings?
:lol:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

puddingwrestler

Actually, I was still thinking of having them infront of the cockpit.
You could always do it with a Sopwith Camel and fit some of those unguided fire-works looking anti-zepplin rockets the brits messed around with.
Oh, and the wings would be hand cranked into attack position.

puddingwrestler

Behold, roughly speaking what I am talking about: