McDonnell F3H Demon

Started by GTX, April 03, 2010, 08:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

Regarding the proportions, what was in that bloated looking ventral side?    Was it simply a fairing for the  underslung guns?    I see there is some airbrake use there in the back but..........trim off the belly a bit if possible and things might look a bit more trim.

How 'bout a designated ground attack version?

The nose on the recce version is simply the Witch's Wart.    :blink: :blink: :blink:

:cheers: (gatoraid)
Daryl J.

GTX

Let's not forget the Super Demon:

These had the following:

F3H-G: Two J-65s
F3H-H:  Two J-79s

These were also only a hop, skip and a jump to the F-4 Phantom...

regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Just a picture I came across and thought worth posting here:

regards,

Greg

jcf

The J79 was dimensionally smaller than the J71 so it would fit, but while you're at it why not
use a development of the civil turbo-fan version? The aft-fan CJ805-23(mil des T35).
Be the first on the block with an afterburning turbo-fan.   ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_CJ805

GTX

Quote from: Daryl J. on April 04, 2010, 01:26:37 PM
Regarding the proportions, what was in that bloated looking ventral side?    Was it simply a fairing for the  underslung guns?    I see there is some airbrake use there in the back but..........trim off the belly a bit if possible and things might look a bit more trim.

From what I understand, much of the portly underside was for additional fuel.  I haven't seen a cross section though, so can't be certain.

Quote from: Daryl J. on April 04, 2010, 01:26:37 PM
How 'bout a designated ground attack version?

Some Demons did carry ground attack weapons:

Regards,

Greg

Daryl J.

OK...let's really ugly it up and enlarge the belly putting in a shallow bomb bay.  Fuel storage on wing pylons instead.     :blink:

JCF, I was hoping you'd weigh in as the turbofan idea passed through my mind about 4 this morning.   :thumbsup:

GTX, how about increasing the sweep of the wing with a 10-12" increase at the root and a 5-6" decrease at the tip?   One with, one without a dog tooth.  And, fwiw, I'm anxiously awaiting Revell/Monogram's rerelease of the F-4C/D so I can backdate one to a similar aircraft to the F3H-H but with some Demon traits and some Daryl-isms tossed in.   :party: :party: :party:   Ron Cline, the guy who made the Allison-engined P-51D named Joker on Hyperscale, sent me a full T.O. for the Phantom some years back and I've been itching to do a number of Phantoms with the spurious one leading the project off.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:   

Cliffy B, for your Brit Demons, how about a Spey since the J-79 fits?

:cheers:,
Daryl J.

anthonyp

I afflicted Brazil with one (after Rally almost broke down in tears of sadness that I was going to make Canada use them  ;D  ).

I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

rickshaw

Now that is a tiny bombload.  What?  Six 250lb'ers?   An OV-10 could carry more. ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Cobra

Hey Guys, just wondering if the F3H Demon could have been Used as a First Response ASR platform? kinda like from thunderbirds. Think the Demon would have been Usable for that? just asking. stay cool. Dan

Green Dragon

The Emhar Demon kits are due for repopping this year, as well as the FJ-4B Fury and F-94C Starfire kits, according to the Pocketbond catalogue.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

KJ_Lesnick

I was thinking of a few cool WHIF ideas.  

- An F3H/F4D Hybrid.  Cockpit engine intakes of the F3H, wings and after-body of the F4D
- An F3H/F5D Hybrid.  Similar to the F3H/F4D hybrid but with the thinner F5D wing and area ruling.
- An F3H/F9F Hybrid with the forward swept inboard trailing edge but the F3H's fuselage, after-body, and tail

KJ
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Daryl J.

1/48 HobbyBoss kits to arrive soon.     :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Daryl J.

GTX

Quote from: Daryl J. on May 13, 2010, 01:17:39 PM
1/48 HobbyBoss kits to arrive soon.     :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Daryl J.

Hmm, I feel a RAN Demon is in the future...

Regards,

Greg

Daryl J.

I've thought of putting a Spey into it.   Not that it would work in real life, but why not.    :party: :party: :blink: :party: :party:

[Edit] Note the early onset Alzheimer's kicking in....see just a few posts above.    Jeeze my memory is getting short.   :blink:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Daryl J. on May 14, 2010, 02:58:47 PM
I've thought of putting a Spey into it.   Not that it would work in real life, but why not.    :party: :party: :blink: :party: :party:

Why shouldn't it have worked in real life? They put the Spey in almost everything else, including the A-7. May need bigger intakes, correction, it WOULD have needed bigger intakes, but it may solved the chronic underpower situation the Demon was haunted by.

Gettit? Haunted....Demon.....? Never mind, I'll get my coat  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit