1987 CAF Mirage CF-10 **F I N I S H E D**

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, April 04, 2010, 12:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

I think you guys missed Wicked Wolverine and Freaky Fisher.

You may have dropped a hint to try and throw us off on it being a single seat though, give us pics, prove me wrong!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

GTX

It could be even simpler - a Canadian F-4G.  All the other info is simply to throw us off the scent!!!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Captain Canada

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on April 04, 2010, 09:11:40 AM
I can pretty much guarantee that you will appreciate it, eh ?

With or without leafs...we know you won't let us down, Ian !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Quote from: JayBee on April 04, 2010, 02:43:28 PM
How about:

Le/La Wild Weasel.

:blink:

If you're going French Canadian Ja it would have to be "la Weasel du Wild" 'cause everything is bass-ackwards up there !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

GTX

Another possible - something French:  a Mirage 2000 or similar perhaps?

Or something English...ish a Tornado IDS based platform?

Damn - now I'm giving myself ideas.

Regards,

Greg

dragon

Quote from: GTX on April 04, 2010, 01:00:50 PM
Quote from: Overkiller on April 04, 2010, 07:12:51 AM
Miffed Mongoose, Mithered Meerkat, Riled Rat, Huffy Hamster...

Why go for little critters - how about something big and brash (i.e. Canadian ;D...yeah I find it hard to accept too):  Malicious Moose!!

After all, a moose once bit my sister...

Regards,

Greg

"Stuff" dropped by a Malicious moose must surely mess up an area as ordnance dropped from a plane (in a smaller scale of course).  Then again I can think of all sorts of nose art possibilities with that name... :cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

anthonyp

You can't use this (since I'm using it for a Caribou gunship).  I've got dibs on "Rutting Caribou" (It'll frak you up!).

As for a Wild Weasel esque plane, what about Rabid Wolverine?  Great, given myself an idea.  CF-5B Rabid Wolverine.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

GTX

upnorth

As for the Canadianization of the "Wild Weasel" name, you could make it in conjunction with certain units and their animal namesakes within the Canadian Armed Forces:

Bold Bison: 
Could work with either 404 or 429 squdrons, but you'd have to retask them to fighters as 404 is a maritime patrol training unit and 429 is a transport unit. I'd opt for 404 myself as they were part of the Banff strike wing in WWII with Beaufighters, so the strike history is in that unit.

Fierce Falcon
This would work with 412 squadron, but again you'd have to retask it to fighters as it's currently the VIP transport unit of the Canadian forces. However, it does have a fighter heritage from WWII.

The trouble with the above units is that none of them currently carry any sort of conspicuous unit markings, so you'd have to come up with some of your own unless you wanted your aircraft annonymous.

As for units that you could find decals for:

Crazy Cougar
Plenty of markings for 410 squadron around in most of the variations they've been in over the years.

Marauding Moose
Markings for 419 squadron are also fairly easy to come by.

Fierce Fox
Ditto for 441 squadron markings, not hard to source.

Those are just a few ideas I came up with for giving a Canadian name to the Wild Weasel concept.

As for the weapons, whatever you do, considering the time frame you're shooting for the CRV-7 rockets would be a VERY Canadian thing to carry in any sort of air to surface mission. They were pretty much "de rigeur" on CF-104s through the mid 70s to their retirement in the 80s. They also are a common piece of gear on the CF-18 Hornets and were also seen with regularity on CF-5s. Really a staple tactical weapon in the CF inventory.

Even our Trackers carried them, nothing says "Get out now!" like a 70mm rocket used as a shot across the bow of your ship.

A salvo of unguided rockets would cause every bit the havoc at a SAM site that previously mentioned cluster munitions would. IIRC CRV-7 warheads could be put on a timer for delayed detonation too.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

chrisonord

How about
Rabid Racoon, or grumpy grizzly?? or P****d Polar Bear :rolleyes:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Quote from: Overkiller on April 04, 2010, 07:12:51 AM
Huffy Hamster...

"Hammy" with the "ump"....love it  ;D

Looking forward to this Ian
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

bobbo

beowulf

hehehe...funny reading  :thumbsup:.....especially since ive nearly finished something similar in Ozzie colours......ive named that 'Wild Wombat'  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

nev

Just to let you know Ian, I'm bringing something along to Cosford that may be of intrest to you........actually took it to Huddersfield but you couldn't be bothered to turn up  :drink:

[/OT]
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May