JASDF F-15EJ: Another FAR Mudhen

Started by FAR148, April 04, 2010, 04:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

That is great  :o Excellent Ordnance, well explained too  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Cliffy B

Quote from: FAR148 on May 20, 2010, 07:11:31 PM

Still More to come,
Steven L  :ph34r:

You may have already addressed this but what are THOSE???!!!  They scream "giant cans of whoop donkey"  :wub:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

FAR148

Thanks guys  :thumbsup:

QuoteYou may have already addressed this but what are THOSE???!!!  They scream "giant cans of whoop donkey" :wub:

They're ASM-4's, based on XASM-3. Look here for more info

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,28191.msg422210.html#msg422210

Panel line wash has started on my Hellenic Babe.

Until later,
Steven L   :ph34r:

nev

Using BMF for the bands on the orndance works a treat :thumbsup:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

ChernayaAkula

So much awesomeness!  :bow:

Are you going to weather the heck out of the Greek Eagle? Hellenic Air Force birds can take it! :thumbsup: Probably the one instance where you can go really wild on the weathering and it won't look overdone. Ever!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

bearmatt

The carpet monster took it!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Yep I love doing the loadout too. Really enjoy getting all the little decals on then weathering/washing - I thought I was the only perverse soul who enjoyed the process..... but it seems not !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

FAR148

Thanks guys  :thumbsup:

QuoteAre you going to weather the heck out of the Greek Eagle? Hellenic Air Force birds can take it!  Probably the one instance where you can go really wild on the weathering and it won't look overdone. Ever!

Since pretty girls are such high maintenance, Both will be nice and clean builds. :wub:

QuoteYep I love doing the loadout too. Really enjoy getting all the little decals on then weathering/washing - I thought I was the only perverse soul who enjoyed the process..... but it seems not !

A lot of modeler skip this step, don't know why? Yeah, it take more time but the end the result are that much nicer. For me, by the time I get to this stage all the hard work is done and I'm on cruise control to finish the build.

Until next weekend,

FAR148

Small update,
This week I got the canopies tinted. Yellow/gold tint for the JASDF Mud hen and a black/smoke tint for the Hellenic Bird. To tint the canopies,  I started with a plastic cup about 3/4 full of Future. For the yellow/gold, I used yellow food coloring and for the black/smoke, I used Medea Com-art paint transparent black. I added about 5 to 10 drops of color to the future so that the color is really concentrated. The stronger the color, the less coating/dippings it will take to tint the canopy. With a pair of reverse tweezers, I dipped the canopies in the mix of coloring and future and place it on a paper towel to let the excess run off and let dry for a few hours. I redipped the canopies several times, until I was happy with the color.

Got a 4 day weekend, hope to start decaling!

Mossie

I'm probably teaching grandma to suck eggs here as your modelling skills far oustrip mine, but I had a bad experience using food colouring & Klear to tint a canopy.  Went on great, but after less than a day on a shelf in sunlight, the tint faded to a point where you could barely see it.  I know this can be a problem with food colourings, a local cake company used to display printed cakes in the window, never lasted more than a few days!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

FAR148

So just don't display your models in direct sunlight! :rolleyes:

Steven L  :ph34r:

Mossie

I don't have a choice, too small a house.  Even if the sunlight isn't direct, it'll fade over time.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

FAR148

Well decaling has started and it's coming along fine. She looks cool with all that stencil data, the part that sucks is all that stencil data!

Back to decaling,
Steven L :ph34r:

GTX

Ok, I have to ask - since when is the Greek Air Force fighting the Rebels?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

FAR148