IPMS-UK AGM at Shuttleworth Collection

Started by Nick, April 05, 2010, 03:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

You just want to be carful that they done do you lot for threats to kill.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Martin H

they are the "powers that Be" Steve, there fore the sworn enemy. even thou we (the membership) elected them to their posts..............a bit of a poison chalice eh?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

NARSES2

Quote from: Martin H on April 13, 2010, 02:16:53 PM
they are the "powers that Be" Steve, there fore the sworn enemy. even thou we (the membership) elected them to their posts..............a bit of a poison chalice eh?

Unfortunately Martin like the majority of committees most of them were elected unopposed. Now that is not having a go at the Exec but at 99% of the membership of any organisation/group/club which tends to love having a dig at what they do but isn't prepared to put themselves up to have a go themselves. Can you guess I used to be treasurer of my local social club and I've done a few more of these committee things in the past, enough to last me a life time  :huh:

As for "barrackroom lawyers", they exist everywhere. Easiest way to deal with them is to simply say "well we can deal with that question, or open the bar"  :drink: Put that to the membership as a motion to defer the question, in writing until the next meeting and you win every time  ;D

I may disagree with committees at times (sometimes on pure bloody minded principle as is my right as a Brit) but without them we would have no group/club of any kind.

So the answer if you don't want to stand is at the very least VOTE,

Semi rant over

Chris

PS - No I'm not standing for anything other then a 410 bus, the train and a pint  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Martin H

I do know what you mean chris. Im the current chairman of my local Archery club. trying to get any one to step forward and take up a commitee post is almost as bad as haveing teeth pulled.
Unfortunately,

Aircav

Quote from: Martin H on April 14, 2010, 09:47:08 AM
I do know what you mean chris. Im the current chairman of my local Archery club. trying to get any one to step forward and take up a commitee post is almost as bad as haveing teeth pulled.

We had the same problem at the local gun club but as I always said, if you don't like the Committee you can always stand yourself.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Radish

Amen brothers....but preferable a woman lol.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

nev

Interesting to note that all our committee types here are single or retired...........

Just an observation :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

PR19_Kit

Back in the 70s I was an IPMS Committee member, the Branch Liason Officer no less.  ;D

That had more to do with the fact that I was in Management Staff at BR and could travel anywhere in the UK for free than for my talents at liasing with branches I suspect, but my time there was an eye opener. Some of the items that were given HOURS of discussion were mind boggling.

We once took two complete meetings to decide just what percentage of a model was allowed not to be plastic before it was banned from competition. What they DIDN'T discuss was how you found out the percentage after the model was completed and painted!!!!

That of course was well before the current vast quantity of white metal, PE and resin add-ons, nowadays no-one gives a hoot what percentage is allowed.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: nev on April 15, 2010, 09:33:11 AM
Interesting to note that all our committee types here are single or retired...........

Just an observation :)

If you mean Me and Chris then yes.

But if you mean the national exsec....not quite.
Unfortunately,

Nick

I'm taking the car in for an MOT in the morning but should be at Shuttleworth by midday. Hope to see some of you there!

Geoff

Martin H

well the meeting was pretty tame.

No bones of contention.

we have new secretry in Richard Farrer

The make and take is NOT happening at SMW10, due to confusion over the need for CRB checks.

Telford is due to get a 4th hall, the same size as halls 1 and 2. And yes it is going over the car park to the side of hall 1. There is also a 3rd 300 room hotel going up in the next 3 years on the site, and the center have been buying land around the site for all this to happen, plus more car parking spaces. And yes the show is going to expand into the new hall for the IPMS 50th in 2013.
Unfortunately,

Radish

Even bigger, then.
I'll need to buy a Satnav to get round it.
Thanks Martin. :thumbsup:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Nick

Not a bad meeting even if the end discussions did drag on a bit. At one point I had to keep my mouth shut cos I would have offended someone (...foreigners... :rolleyes:).

I recommend the Shittleworth Collection for our AGM, if only because I only had an hour to look around the great collection. I spotted the place in town for a meal one day, the Biggles Tandoori !

NARSES2

Quote from: Radish on May 01, 2010, 11:55:24 AM
Even bigger, then.
I'll need to buy a Satnav to get round it.
Thanks Martin. :thumbsup:

Just send your duck/chicken up fitted with a mini cam connected to a receiver in your basque and a viewer in yor glasses  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.