WWII '46 Contest

Started by Ed S, April 05, 2010, 06:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

Here are some shots of the models that were entered in our club contest in March.  Each year, we have a contest at the March meeting.  This years theme was "WWII 1946 and Beyond".

Me-410 Torpedo Bomber.  Revell 1/72 Scale (also seen in our "Navalize it Group Build")

A-1 Skyraider, USAAC markings.  ESCI 1/48

Do-335 Night Fighter.  DML 1/72

HMS Habakkuk, Scratchbuilt, 1/700.  Forward view

HMS Habakkuk Aft View

P-80.  Airfix 1/72

Ed

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Ed S

More Photos

Kyushu J7W Shinden. Hasegawa 1/48

FW-190 D Zwilling, 1/72 Airfix

Nakijima Kikka. Fine Molds 1/48

Republic F-12 Rainbow.  Anagrand 1/72

Do-335 Jet conversion.  Monogram 1/48

Me-309.   Czech Model 1/48

Notrhrop B-49.  Italeri 1/72

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Cliffy B

Man those are awesome!!!  I can't decide which one I like more  :thumbsup:  :drink:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

NARSES2

Nice stuff there Ed, thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

I lurve that carrier!!!! :thumbsup:

And so many great ideas too.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

philp

Nice stuff and I bet Seadude would want to see the Habakkuk.

So who won?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Ed S

Phil,

Since you asked.  2nd place went to the Do335 jet conversion and 1st place to the scratchbuilt HMS Habakkuk. At the Anniston IPMS show last weekend, the Do335 jet, the Habakkuk and the Me-309 all won awards as well.

Ed

pyro-manic

I think I like the Shinden and P-80 the most, apart from the carrier of course. Good stuff!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

MiB

Ed s, u r my guru!!! :thumbsup:
Fantastic models in fantastic timeline!
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

Taiidantomcat

So many amazing models in one place  :wacko: Im jealous  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

seadude

Well, I am officially sunk. :( It would appear I am not the only, or first person, to do a Habakkuk. Kudos to the person who built it.  :thumbsup: Ed, I would love to know who built it, the techniques used, and see any other images of it if possible. It's a beautiful model. *chucks my own Habakkuk back in the closet*
If the person who built it is a member of these forums, then perhaps he could offer his advice and wisdom in my Habakkuk thread here:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,25573.0.html
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

sequoiaranger

Seadude- *I REALLY MEAN THIS*--yours is BETTER! Yours looks more authentic. As someone else said in the other thread on this model, this "Stretched USS Midway" just doesn't LOOK like a Pykrete carrier. Too smooth, etc. REALLY.

PUH-LEEZE do not give up on your Habakkuk. If I may be bold as to speak for our whiffing group, WE WANT TO SEE YOUR FINISHED HABAKKUK!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Scooterman

Agreed!!!!  Not taking anything from that build but Seadude, yours looks soooooooo much better.  When I think HABAKKUK I think of your design.  This one, again while nice, just looks like a Super Midway or somesort.  Please, PLEASE keep going on yours!

seadude

Don't worry, guys. I'll still push forward with my Habakkuk. ;)  :cheers:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

ChernayaAkula

Nice stuff!  :party:

Thinking about that "Super Midway" comment, could it be that this build uses a 1/350 hull and deck with 1/700 island, elevators, aircraft and whatnot?

Hmmm, scale-o-rama ship, huh? *scratches-chin-mischievously* Take a 1/350 cruiser hull and fashion a 1/700 WWII super carrier out of it.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?