Polikarpopin' out all over the place!

Started by proditor, April 14, 2010, 07:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proditor

So apparently I'm getting addicted to these things.  I have a plan, and an idea even.

I love the little Polikarpov I-16.  Always seemed almost unfair that the Condor Legion's fast and powerful 109's showed up and ruined the day.

So, what might they have done to make it competitive?

My donor kits:

And the theme song for my little hellion to be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcMQVCSdk-M&feature=related (Not safe for work)

GTX

You're not thinking of doing what I think you're thinking of doing are you???

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

proditor

Conversion wise, it's pretty tame.  As far as reality wise, it's probably not even vaguely feasible.  ;)

Pictures tomorrow, I need to hit the hay.

Weaver

If you're thinking of doing what I think GTX thinks you're thinking of doing then that's going to make a GeeBee racer look positively sensible.... I think..... :blink:

BTW, that Matchbox I-16 is a Tip-24 (I think), so it's an SCW whiff straight out of the box anyway, since only earlier, significantly different marks went to Spain (have to check my books when I get home).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

Yeah, I always though the Corsair looked wrong with that hinking great engine, it'll be so much cuter with the itty bitty Polikarpov power plant :thumbsup:

(exuent coatwards)
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

proditor

;D

Yes, I am indeed making it the GB of armed conflict.  I got a lot done last night as I'd forgotten that some time ago I'd already painted the front office!  So, slapped together the Poly, gave her a nose job, made her a new prop, made her a new canopy, and then PSR'd until it was time for bed.  Pics tonight assuming all goes as planned.

proditor

Allergies are trying to rip my face off, and I still have to finish the Bayern in like, two weeks, so I got the Super-Poli up to the mock-up stage, and honestly, she's gonna sit here unless I find some more time to work on her.

Cute little thing though.

pyro-manic

Good grief. The acceleration would knock you out on take-off, which is just as well because then you'd run out of fuel and crash at the end of the runway!

:thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

GTX

Oh God!!! That's what I thought you were thinking of doing...I think?

Regards,

Greg

Weaver

Egad - quite possibly going to need a bigger fin there: it would probably be able to do the Camel trick of rolling 270 deg with the engine torque being faster than rolling 90 deg against it... :blink:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Torque monster!  :wacko: No need for clipped wings to improve roll rate on this one. Well, at least when rolling to port.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

proditor

Yeah, I've been considering putting in a "Zoolander" reference about the plane having a hard time turning left.  :D

proditor

So I was doing some reading on my little bird, and I stumbled across this:

"A 1939 government study found that I-16 had exhausted its performance potential. Addition of armor, radio, battery, and flaps during the aircraft's evolution exacerbated the rear weight distribution to the point where the aircraft required considerable forward pressure on the stick to maintain level flight and at the same time developed a tendency to enter uncontrolled dives. Extension and retraction of the landing flaps caused a dramatic change in the aircraft attitude. Accurate gunfire was difficult."

Heh.  Somehow I don't think that will be a problem in this version.  ;)

GTX

You could probably mount this thing tail sitter style for vertical take offs!

Regards,

Greg

proditor

Okay, so I've hit decision time.

This is how we have the Poli currently mocked up:

However this would eliminate that nasty Torque problem quite nicely:

Thoughts?