Seymour Angel

Started by Swanny, April 18, 2010, 11:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swanny

The wife has been out doing garage sales all day and my film guy is in Chicago doing a wedding so I have the day to tinker with the YB-40. Both upper turrets are completely detailed inside and out now with the exception of the gun barrels which should be arriving Tuesday. Both those turrets easily slide out to provide a better view into both compartments. Note that the aft turret does not have any framing? That piece was a single blown Plexiglas piece much like the nose glazing was. Do you know how much it costs to totally outfit a YB-40 with Master gun barrels? A lot! I got more tied up in gun barrels than the cost of a brand new 1/48 B-17F. Anyway, not only are the top turrets done but the conversion to the nose turret conversion (How about that? A conversion to the conversion!) is complete and the set points for each of the six Brownings are in place. This is another little Whiff aspect to the build. The six gun package was tested on a single aircraft but never put into production - what if?? Note the red rectangle on the fuselage - that is the original Port Pitot tube which will be relocated up the fuselage wall. Also note the repositioned Directional antenna housing under the fuselage. The main canopy has been trimmed to fit and treated with Future - just waiting for that to fully harden before I start masking and doing the final attachment. Also the tail gunner's canopy has been masked and installed. It's been a good day at the workbench.

hurricanemk1c

Nice work!

That radome looks like a H2S scanner!

Swanny

Most of today has been spent masking and fine tuning the fit of the main canopy. I think it's about time to go back to the wings.

Swanny

Other than some assorted masking I think this is just about ready for some paint. Got the wheels done and weathered also - had to to keep the lower turret off the table while painting  :D

dumaniac

Swanny

I decided to putty the wing seams so spent a few days on that.  An entire evening at the bench was spent stuffing tissue paper into engine faces, open hatches and wrapping landing gear before I could do a final wipe-down of the outer surface. Now I have some black paint to lay down. Deicing boots are easy but I will have several days tied up pre-shading this beast. In-between all this stuff I worked over the propellers with polished aluminum spinners and decals from Mike Grant and Master Scale. Maybe by next weekend I'll be able to start painting some neutral gray  ;D

sotoolslinger

Purty :wub: I wish I had your patience :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Swanny

Storm clouds have moved in so I cleared the workbench, grabbed a gallon of Olive Drab paint and got busy

There's still lots to do but she is looking pretty nice now.

Cobra

Awesome Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: This is Starting to look Too Cool! Can't wait to see what she looks like when Done! Keep up the Great Work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers: :cheers:Dan

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Very nicely done Matt. Reminds me, a lot, of the splotching on Memphis Belle, almost looks like a tiger-stripe on the sides of the fuselage.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Swanny

Actually I used the Memphis Belle as my inspiration for the pattern. Not exact but in the ball park.

Swanny

First decals go down and of course I must start with the Angel.

Swanny

Here's the six pack. This is one of the major Whiff aspects of this build.

Mossie

Wow, wouldn't like to have a disagreement with the nose gunner...
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.