B-29 canard bomber.

Started by Green Dragon, April 18, 2010, 02:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oliv30330

excellent, I like this plane :wub:

GTX

With that beaver tail you could do this as a Transport rather than a bomber.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

arkon

or it could be a loading ramp to the bomb bay so you dont have to drive it over a pit to load the reeeeally big bombs,as they did with the enola gay and bockscar
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

frank2056

This is looking great! The tail reminds me of a Short Skyvan tail.

BTW, I loved the "Thin Man" series, although "The Thin Man goes Home" was very weak. This plane is definitely not a Thin Man!

Joe C-P

I like this. I've seen a B-17, a B-24, and an RAF bomber redone this way. What's next? A B-47?
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Incredible work, Paul..... keep it coming.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Green Dragon

Quote from: GTX on May 06, 2010, 02:05:51 PM
With that beaver tail you could do this as a Transport rather than a bomber.

Regards,

Greg

Hi Greg, the original model compo brief was for a design that could be used for Bomber, Cargo and Tanker with very little change to the basic airframe so I figured a beaver tail would be best to have a ramp, mount a refueling set up or tail gun positions.
Used it in a space cargo model too.

Hi Arkon, the main landing gear is going to be lengthened to get some more clearance for bomb loading. The bomb doors slide up the outside of fuselage and I'm thinking the section of doors on the underside will be like a concertina folding to the centreline. Hope that makes sense!

Quote from: frank2056 on May 06, 2010, 06:50:25 PM
This is looking great! The tail reminds me of a Short Skyvan tail.

BTW, I loved the "Thin Man" series, although "The Thin Man goes Home" was very weak. This plane is definitely not a Thin Man!

Got The Thin Man set for under £10 off Amazon. They used to be on TV a lot but recently I got withdrawal symptoms and had to buy them!

Quote from: JoeP on May 06, 2010, 08:25:07 PM
I like this. I've seen a B-17, a B-24, and an RAF bomber redone this way. What's next? A B-47?
I want to do a Canard B-47 (on the cheap though!) but I keep getting outbid!

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on May 07, 2010, 01:02:42 PM
Incredible work, Paul..... keep it coming.

Ian
Cheers Ian! currenty doing PSR  :banghead: and some cockpit stuff. Just made a replacement bomb sight mounting ring coz the first one shot off to feed the carpet monster!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Doc Yo

She looks like she's coming along nicely, Paul. I don't envy you the task of fitting the forward glass-with the
the wider fuselage, thats going to be some work.

Green Dragon

Many thanks Doc, the standard diameter cockpit will be stuck on the front end to avoid any "creative" glazing! Not sure how I will fair it into the wide bit yet but I'm sure something will present itself after I stick the cockpit in place. Thinking of adding a radar bump under the wide fuselage/narrow cockpit joint to beef up the structure a bit (I've got a feeling there will be lots of "My airplane just snapped in half" events in my future!). My old drawing had full width glazing but it seemed like too much hard work!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.

Green Dragon

More update piccies. When I put the cockpit detail in I could see through to the empty rear section and thought I'd better put a bit more in at the engineers station and Navigators table. It's very basic but it looks OK when the clear parts are in place.
Forward.

And from the rear.

Made some longer main gear doors from fuselage off-cuts. Also moved the locating hole for the gear leg further back.

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

kitbasher

Simply top notch.  Proves you don't need a large scale kit to think big.  Looking forward to further updates.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

John Howling Mouse

Complete and total Whif Madness (and that's a fantastic thing!).   :bow:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

oliv30330

Mossie

I hadn't seen this one earlier Paul, this is turning into a beast!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Green Dragon

Glad you're all liking it! Small update.
Main gear legs extended with Plastruct tube.

Glued on cockpit section, tail fins and placed on her wheels.

I reckon it looks kind of silly with the nose gear way up front, think I'll move it back to the cockpit/rear fuselage joint. Still need to add the canards, guns and add more wheels to the main gear.

Paul Harrison

On the bench.