B-29 canard bomber.

Started by Green Dragon, April 18, 2010, 02:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

Don't make me decide :blink: ain't no one gonna argue against jets :rolleyes: :lol:
Well ok put some guns on there :wub: :thumbsup: :party:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Cliffy B

SEA camo with black undersides rules!  Especially over natural metal!  Call me biased but I REALLY don't care too much for natural metal save for pre-war USN aircraft.  Even with cool multi-shaded panels and what not there just isn't enough color there.

I vote for SEA with black undersides.  And as far as decals go, ever printed your own?  I know 1/144 aftermarket stuff is pretty light but you can always get a decal sheet in a larger scale, scan it, re-size it, and then print it out, and viola!  What markings are you missing for the other versions?  Stencils and national insignia are almost universal.  I can always design up some custom ones for you and send you the files.  You just need an ink jet or laser printer and some blank decal paper and can of sealant for the sheet.  Don't stress over the markings too much.

As far as the jets vs tail guns go, can't you do both?  :wacko:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Taiidantomcat

Those latest pictures look awesome!  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

dragon

Please tell me you are considering nose art.  In my opinion this beast would look naked without any nose art of any kind in any of its schemes.
:thumbsup:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: dragon on May 22, 2010, 01:32:04 PM
Please tell me you are considering nose art.  In my opinion this beast would look naked without any nose art of any kind in any of its schemes.

Yeah thats true, A B-29 just isn't the same without it. Artists made the most of such a large canvas
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Green Dragon on May 21, 2010, 03:07:20 PM
<...>

<...>

Awesome angle!  :bow: Can you imagine a sky full of these monsters and what effect that would have on an enemy fighter pilot?
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Mossie

Quote from: Green Dragon on May 21, 2010, 03:07:20 PM

Is it just me or are they looking more like jet engines than gun positions?

I think that's a good direction to head in. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ed S

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on May 22, 2010, 06:11:50 PM
Awesome angle!  :bow: Can you imagine a sky full of these monsters and what effect that would have on an enemy fighter pilot?

Yeah, it's a "Target Rich Environment"....

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Slerski

With these target, only one thing to say... "Taiaut !! Frappez-fort !!"
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

Green Dragon

Not much done recently but pics tomorrow. Canards are on, most gun turrets are on, did some rescribing including the canopy frames as they were virtually invisible.

Quote from: Cliffy B on May 21, 2010, 03:56:12 PM
SEA camo with black undersides rules!  Especially over natural metal!  Call me biased but I REALLY don't care too much for natural metal save for pre-war USN aircraft.  Even with cool multi-shaded panels and what not there just isn't enough color there.

I vote for SEA with black undersides.  And as far as decals go, ever printed your own?  I know 1/144 aftermarket stuff is pretty light but you can always get a decal sheet in a larger scale, scan it, re-size it, and then print it out, and viola!  What markings are you missing for the other versions?  Stencils and national insignia are almost universal.  I can always design up some custom ones for you and send you the files.  You just need an ink jet or laser printer and some blank decal paper and can of sealant for the sheet.  Don't stress over the markings too much.

As far as the jets vs tail guns go, can't you do both?  :wacko:

Haven't printed my own decals yet but seriously thinking about it (no printer access at the moment) and I haven't been through my decals stash yet so don't know what I've got!
With the colour scheme I'm thinking I want to do all of them so I'm going to do the WW2 version with tail guns first then I'll try to re-paint it and alter it to have jet boost engines over Korea and hopefully be able to cover all the schemes without having to build more models! Has anyone tried this before? I reckon it will all end in disaster but I'm going to try anyway!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Green Dragon

Quote from: dragon on May 22, 2010, 01:32:04 PM
This pic might answer your question Dragon!

Smoothed the underside filler out.

Canards and most guns are on.

Overall view.

Close on canards.

Ran out of primer but I brushed on some Mithril Silver anyway.

Side view.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Ed S

What a beast.  I'm liking this one.  I think your idea of photographing in WWII then change it to Korea for more photos is great.  Look forward to seeing it in both versions.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

GTX

Also, what are these decals:

I need to get me some of those.

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Gondor

Defiantly looking like something from Gerry Anderson or Dan Dare !!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

sequoiaranger

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!