Dusty day in London

Started by Gary, April 21, 2010, 02:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Hey all. I am in London, and awaiting my delayed flights out back to Canada. Stupid dust. Well, not too bad. Got to the FANTASTIC museum in London, the RAF one in Colindale (I think) and was totally blown away. Bought books and a wonderful Vulcan poster and took hours of video. Saw and touched a Lightening and found myself for some reason, brought to tears looking at the Typhoon. Had read some of the exploits of those Canadians who gave all in that brute and I was over come with emotion. Then wandered to Hannants Shop next door and almost bought out the shop. I would have in a heart beat but getting as many models home as I bought will be tricky enough.
London is wonderful. The people of Europe have been wonderful. Started my trip in Italy and was not supposed to come to the UK except for a short stop over. I'll be back.
Getting back into modeling

Nick

Errrr... Martin.... I know you're getting on a bit now  :wacko: but go back and read the bit where Gary says he nearly bought out the whole shop....  ;D

Gary, if you'd let us know you were in town I'd have come in and spent a few hours showing you around.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on April 22, 2010, 01:19:36 AM
Errrr... Martin.... I know you're getting on a bit now  :wacko: but go back and read the bit where Gary says he nearly bought out the whole shop....  ;D

Beat me to it Nick, but he is getting on a bit now  ;D

Glad you enjoyed it Gary, believe you me the "old" hannants shop was even more of a treasure trove  :wub:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Gary, if you still need to kill some time, pay a visit to the Science Museum in central London. Well worth a look with exhibits on all sorts of science and technology.

Gary

Hey guys,
If you have time for a pint, my lady and I are in Central London close to Victoria Station. At the Romanos Hotel on Charlwood Street off Belgrave Road. We do have an early flight Friday but Kim and I aren't against bending a pint or two. (She's a fan of red wine or gin and tonic's) 
Cheers
Gary and Kim

NARSES2

That's a shame. I'm traveling up to Perth on Friday !
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Martin H

Quote from: Nick on April 22, 2010, 01:19:36 AM

Gary, if you'd let us know you were in town I'd have come in and spent a few hours showing you around.

yeah call it a senior moment lol
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

JayBee

Don't believe him guys, he is still very much a junior.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Gary

Well, back in Canada and I will say this. I loved London, didn't get enough time in Paris, Thought Nice was very nice indeed, thought the all night cafe in Ventimiglia had great Irish Coffee, Found the open air market in Milan rather cool, was amazed by Rome, astonished by Venice and fell in love with the city of Florence. Need I say, the majority of the list consists of the various stops while making our way to London from Rome to get a connecting airline flight out of Heathrow, when it opened.

The only truly bad experience...

Twiglets. After hearing so much about them on this site I decided to try them during the stop over in London. Costing 2 pounds 70p my first thought was that these things were the most expensive things on the shelf in the snack food aisle. Now I will try anything, but I only managed to eat one, Kim ate 1.2 of one and the rest... well lets just say even the flying rats in the park wouldn't tough the bloody things.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gary on April 25, 2010, 04:49:01 PM
Twiglets. After hearing so much about them on this site I decided to try them during the stop over in London. Costing 2 pounds 70p my first thought was that these things were the most expensive things on the shelf in the snack food aisle. Now I will try anything, but I only managed to eat one, Kim ate 1.2 of one and the rest... well lets just say even the flying rats in the park wouldn't tough the bloody things.

Hehehe, we Brits are made of stern stuff you know. A couple of packets of Twiglets each morning and we're ready for ANYthing!  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit