Tornado IDS Weapons

Started by Iranian F-14A, April 23, 2010, 04:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iranian F-14A

I had a question of weapons that,at least in theroy,the Tornado could carry.Most of these are USAF weapons listed below. The other thing I wanted to know is would it be possible for the ADV model to carry AIM-54 Phoenix? and if so,would it have to be a side by side configuration,like on the F-14 or staggered like the Skyflash on the ADV? I understand the Tornado is somewhat narrow on the belly,but the Skyflash has longer wingspan compared to the Phoenix when mounted semi conformal where as the Phoenix would be on the pallets.

The weapons I wondered about the IDS carrying included:
AGM-65 Maverick
AGM-130
AGM-142 Raptor
AGM-154 JSOW
AGM-158 JASSM
BLU-107 Durandal
MER w/ Mk.82 and or CBUs

Also,was the Tornado capable of carrying any type of  unguided rocket pods? (LAU,Matra,etc)
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever-1984
Current projects:
BAe EAP
OH-58F Kiowa Warrior
S-70C Civilian Hawk
HAL Light Combat Helicopter
S-64 Skycrane Firefighter

pyro-manic

A Phoenix weighs more than twice as much as a Skyflash, but the Tonka's maximum payload is fairly high - eight or nine tonnes IIRC. It would be a toss-up between weapons load and range - do you carry four/six Phoenix missiles (two/four on ventral palettes, one on each wing) to attack at long range, or take wing drop tanks and carry four each of Skyflashes and Sidewinders/ASRAAMs closer to the targets?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Cliffy B

AIM-54Cs weigh in right around 1,100 lbs IIRC.  Carrying them under the fuselage would be the most logical placement but I'm not sure if four side by side would fit or not.  Might have to do two on the center line.  All four MIGHT fit if you stagger them.  The Phoenix was a BIG missile.  Hope that helps.
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

nev

You could always carry them on the inner wing pylon, and sling a couple of drop tanks under the fuselage.  Hindenbergers won't fit under there, but normal Tornado tanks will (and occasionally are carried there)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Weaver

The thing with the Sparrow's greater wingspan is that the wings also have a narrow chord, so they can be staggered and overlapped. Can't do that with the Pheonix's strakes.

I don't think the Tornado was ever cleared for rocket pods. RAF doctrine was that BL.755 cluster bombs had replaced them in the anti-area-target role.

I have an artist's impression weapon layout from 1983 which shows Mavericks, although which pylon they'd go on isn't clear. As far as I know, they've never been cleared for it. It also shows a rocket pod on an outer wing pylon, but I don't think the Tornado was ever cleared for them: RAF doctrine was that BL.755 cluster bombs had replaced Matra pods in the anti-area-target role. Obviously, some very big bombs/missiles could go on the inner wing pylons (over 3000lb rating each), but in practice, the tanks on the inners and Skyshadow/BOZ pods on the outers seem to be welded on. For multiple small bombs, twin store carriers (like the ones seen on Jags & Harriers) can be fitted to each station on the two outer fuselage pylons, giving a total of eight weapons.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rafi

RAF Panavia Tornado can also carry such armament: WE117 nuclear bomb, JP233 munitions dispenser, BAe Sea Eagle, Brimstone, ALARM, MBDA Storm Shadow cruise missile, AIM-9 Sidewinder, Paveway II, Paveway III, Enhanced Paveway, General Purpose Bombs.

GTX

The Tornado could have carried just about anything given the appropriate engineering mods and associated release trials.

In other words, what ever you're planning...go for it!  If you want any specific descriptions, ideas etc, just ask.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Quote from: GTX on April 25, 2010, 12:04:57 PM
The Tornado could have carried just about anything given the appropriate engineering mods and associated release trials.

In other words, what ever you're planning...go for it!  If you want any specific descriptions, ideas etc, just ask.

Regards,

Greg

Yes and no: only the inner wing pylons are truly restriction-free. The outers are weight-limited and the fuselage stations have clearance issues with the ground and the undercarriage. Having said that, they're can't be awfully restrictive since they carry Stormshadows under there and they're big mommas. I think an AGM-142 might be a problem though (big, non-folding fins).

What I think they should have done is develop a conformal belly tank about the size and shape of the MW-1 pod: that would allow the use of the inner pylons for "difficult" weapons with no loss of range.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

upnorth

The most logical way, to my mind, to stick Phoenix missiles onto a Tornado would be to put them on fuselage rails, side by side, like the German navy carried Kormoran anti ship missiles.

Of course, that would only work on an F.3 if it retained the ability to be fitted with those fuselage pylons. I'm not sure if the Skyflash recesses negated that ability or not.

Conversely, you could rig up some sort of adapting pylon that could plug into a Skyflash recess and stick down far enough that a Phoenix could get fuselage clearance and you could carry two in a staggered arrangement under the fuselage. In effect, put one adapter pylon in the most forward of the front recesses and the other in the most rear of the aft recesses.

My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

GTX

Quote from: Weaver on April 25, 2010, 12:28:46 PM
Quote from: GTX on April 25, 2010, 12:04:57 PM

Regards,

Greg

Yes and no: only the inner wing pylons are truly restriction-free. The outers are weight-limited and the fuselage stations have clearance issues with the ground and the undercarriage. Having said that, they're can't be awfully restrictive since they carry Stormshadows under there and they're big mommas. I think an AGM-142 might be a problem though (big, non-folding fins).

What I think they should have done is develop a conformal belly tank about the size and shape of the MW-1 pod: that would allow the use of the inner pylons for "difficult" weapons with no loss of range.

I did say given the appropriate engineering mods and associated release trials. (with my engineer hat on).

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Quote from: upnorth on April 25, 2010, 12:31:20 PM
Of course, that would only work on an F.3 if it retained the ability to be fitted with those fuselage pylons. I'm not sure if the Skyflash recesses negated that ability or not.

No it doesn't: F.3s carried ALARMs on GR.4 fuselage pylons during the 2003 Iraq campaign.

Quote from: GTX

I did say given the appropriate engineering mods and associated release trials. (with my engineer hat on).

Duly noted, but if your intended weapon scrapes on the ground or stops the undercarriage extending, then fixing that is a bit beyond an "engineering mod". I don't want to make too much of it though: we know it can carry a lot of big stuff; I just suspect it might have issues carrying anything with big wings on the fuselage stations. There are ways around that too (modify the weapon (folding fins?) or move the fuel to the belly as suggested) but they're getting fairly major.

- Indiana Jones

Iranian F-14A

Thanks for all the responses guys.With the AGM-142,I was thinking doing say 2x missiles under the inboard wings with the data pod under the fuselage.The other weapons,namely the AGM-158 JASSM,I figure, you could get 2x under the fuselage and 2x more under the inner wings.Likewise mounting the Mavericks under the inner wings.

Another weapon system that just came to mind today was the AGM-124 WASP pod which I believe was to be carried under the inner wings,with 2x standard tanks under the fuselage
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever-1984
Current projects:
BAe EAP
OH-58F Kiowa Warrior
S-70C Civilian Hawk
HAL Light Combat Helicopter
S-64 Skycrane Firefighter

rickshaw

I assume you mean this picture?

Interesting.  However, the rest of the blog is fascinating!
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on April 26, 2010, 01:28:40 AM
I assume you mean this picture?

Interesting.  However, the rest of the blog is fascinating!

I suspect you've posted that on the wrong thread.......

- Indiana Jones

rickshaw

OOps, you're right.  My bad.  :(
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.