Started by Radish, April 27, 2010, 07:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Thinking.....

A Warspite or Arizona....
but with oars.....

Could look good.

Opinions?
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

ChernayaAkula

Anything Viking will get my vote!

- needs a dragon figurehead on the bow!
- needs axes!

The single mast and square sail are very distinctive features of a Viking ship. Maybe you could incorporate that as well? Solar sail or sumfink?
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

proditor

A figurehead is an absolute must.  I also like the single sail, as oars, while cool, trigger my instant bireme/trireme association.

Of couse if you paired the oars with a ram similar to the one I put on the Edison, you'd have a "modern" roman empire battlewagon.

Hmmmmmm...............

Weaver

Well the logical powered successors to oars are paddlewheels, so why not have a line of paddlewheels down each side, with traditional round shields painted on the casings? Warhamster might be a good source of shield decals. As for the single sail, why not give it a huge single curvature rectangular radar aerial (like early sets), painted in vertical coloures stripes? And yes, it needs a dragon figurehead.

Revell do a 1/50th scale Viking ship, bits of which might scaleorama suitably: Viking Ship  It's 385mm long and the Airfix 1/600th Warspite is only 325mm, so the bits should translate quite well.

EDIT: SMER do a 1/60th one (303mm long) too: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAKKAR-VIKING-SHIP-DRAGON-KIT-1-60-MODEL-SMER-902-NEW-/400111411423?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item5d287fa0df
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

I remember mentioning to Chris about a Roman airship, hydrogen produced by accident from a dodgy alchemy experiment lifting the tent in which the experiment was carried out.  Early airships were propelled by oars too.

So a Viking ship on the lines of this pirate airship from Stadust maybe???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

puddingwrestler

There was a Nodwick comic in which they were confronted by a ship of Pirate Ninjas... strapped to the head of a terrasque. This was obviously the ultimate combination of awesome and doom, so they had to think hard to come up with a combination cool enough to beat it. They ended up witha submarine crewed by cannibal vikings... strapped to the head of a titan.
I have the very comic saved on my work laptop, but can't find it easily from home...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen