Random thought: I love Matchbox kits. What's your nostalgic favorite and why?

Started by proditor, April 29, 2010, 09:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

proditor

Great suggestion Nils, and promptly acted upon.  :)

I'm actually really surprised at how many of have had close brushes with bombings.  Makes me yearn for my youth when I could walk a mile to the hobby shop and never once worry about something going wrong.

ANYWAY...

I'm torn on which if the matchbox kits was my absolute favorite, but I think I'd have to go with their Corsair.  It's one of my favortie planes in general and I seem to remember it going together like butter.  As for their ships and armor, well for the armor, I htink the Sherman Firefly.  That might be defensive because it got the lamest terrain piece (A bridge?  Really?!?!) and in ships, I think it would be the ubiquitous USS Fletcher.  I've done a lot of weird mods to that hull!  HMS Tiger would be a really close second

JJC

i can say i have NEVER built or owned a Matchbox kit
':BURN HIM! BURN HIM!:' i know, I know!
my first kit was the Airfix P-38 Lightning - that i built with my dad at age 5, i did the painting, he did the building and decalling. i probably would have done matchbox kits, but i grew up in the '90's - so to late i think? :banghead:
KEEP THE VULCAN FLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

nev

Being the Tamyigawa snob that I am :rolleyes: I have no specific happy memories of Matchbox.  I have built the Lightning, Phantom and Jaguar in the last 12 years since I got back into the hobby, and they were all terrible.  This is why people think I am anti-airfix, I do not suffer from modelling nostalgia.  Just because I built a kit as a child, does not mean I can't ignore poor fit, overscale parts, no detail and trench lines.

Although I did like the little diorama bases that came with their small scale armour.  Still do in fact.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Aircav

Quote from: Radish on May 02, 2010, 01:16:48 PM
Strewth.....in the '90s!!!!

Hellfire....I retired in the '90s. :tank:

I was checking someone's ID to make sure he could buy some glue at the LMS and his DOB was 1994 which made me suddenly feel old.
I've read a few of these nostalgic threads and what went through my mind the other day is has anyone ever done a study of plastic modellers for a Physiology paper?

ps Loved the Matchbox Bf110, 109, Wellington, Chaffee, M16 Halftrack and Honey.  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Spey_Phantom

the local LHS has 2 matchox stranrears in stock, i might have to concider getting one, maybe for my birthday  :mellow:

i think it would look nice in Belgian or Canadian markings  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Aircav

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

ChrisF

I've read a few of these nostalgic threads and what went through my mind the other day is has anyone ever done a study of plastic modellers for a Physiology paper?[/quote]

If im honest this is one of the reasons i originally got into the hobby.. I had a terrible temper as a child and strangely having something to concentrate on and tune out the outside world was very calming and theraputic... Which is odd because you'd think the first time something wouldnt fit i would have been smashing it into little pieces... So yes the physiology of it does appear to be quite complex...  :unsure:

jcf

Quote from: Nils on May 03, 2010, 09:46:10 AM

i think it would look nice in ... Canadian markings  :thumbsup:

Yes it did:

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/v2/equip/hst/stranraer-eng.asp

BTW the Matchbox kit is based on the Hendon museum aircraft which was one of fourteen ex-RCAF aircraft
that went on the civil market postwar. The Hendon aircraft was CF-BXO and spent most of it's civil career on
the West Coast of Canada (my Dad flew in it and its three sisters on a number of occasions).
The large cargo hatch moulded on the stbd. side of the model was added to the real aircraft
during its civil career and is unique to the post-war Super Strannies, they were so designated after being
re-engined with Wright Cyclones, no wartime Stranraer had the large hatch.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Aircav on May 03, 2010, 09:41:11 AM
and what went through my mind the other day is has anyone ever done a study of plastic modellers for a Physiology paper?

That way lies madness, but I guess that's obvious just because we're all here............  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Doc Yo

I don't remeber seeing Matchbox kits on this side of the pond before the late seventies, though I was
build the Airfix Ju-52 around '68 or '69. Say what you will about them, I didn't see anybody else making
the wonderful Wellesley or the elegant He-70.

The real nostalgia rush for me, though, is Lindberg's mid-sixties 'Luft 46' kits*. The basic four were the
He-162, Me 163, He-100, and Fw 190, all fifty cents apiece ( about 20p to most of you at the time, I
think) with larger kits of the Ar-234, Do 335, and He 219. Simple kits, but neat.

* yes, I'm stretching the definition a bit. Whif me.

ChrisF

Aircav

Sir Sydney Camm

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: ChrisF on May 04, 2010, 08:35:13 AM
Madness ?! I thought this was sparta ?   ;D
correction:

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 03, 2010, 11:49:21 AM

Yes it did:

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/v2/equip/hst/stranraer-eng.asp

i meant post war CAF markings with maple leaf roundels  ;D
anyway, i should get on and do her in Sabena markings  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

JayBee

For me it has to be the Percival Provost.
A close second has to be the Hawker Fury. Built as a two seater with a single, parasol, wing from the Siskin, and a spare engine
from a Williams Brothers Northrop Gama, as the Newport Delage ND-137 fighter of the Swiss airforce.
There were no photos taken, to my shame, and the model no longer exisits.
You know, nostalgia is all right but it is not as good as it used to be. :blink:

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!