Main Menu

If Grumman made......

Started by tigercat, May 01, 2010, 12:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

Similar to the Carlsberg Adverts.  if Carlsberg did...etc Probably the finest in the world

So given that Grumman have a distinct house style you could Grummanfy various aircraft

"If Grumman did Bombers..."

"If Grumman did Transports..."

If Grumman did Spitfires....."

Fulcrum

What about "If Grumman did mig-29's..." ;D

I'll get my hat & coat...
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

tigercat

that would be their Grummanski facility and  if they made the Mig 29... It would probably be the Worlds finest Barrel shaped , twin finned , Pugachev's Cobra Capable Advanced Frontline Fighter in the world.

Weaver

Hmmm - what would you say was the "Grumman Style" in different eras? There's a certain continuity in their prop fighters but that's because the designs evolved from one to another, but I'm not sure there's anything disctinctive about their jets.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

tigercat

To be honest I should have emphasised WW2 Era , being a WW" fan I tend to forget their later output

Weaver

So that's big radial engine, short, deep fuselage, slightly tapered wings with square-cut tips.... what else would you say?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on May 01, 2010, 02:48:27 AM
..... but I'm not sure there's anything disctinctive about their jets.

How about shortish, fattish, tubby aeroplanes with close coupled fins/rudders? Panther-Cougar-Jaguar.

Then they lost t he plot and made the Tiger and Tomcat.......  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: tigercat on May 01, 2010, 12:09:16 AM
So given that Grumman have a distinct house style you could Grummanfy various aircraft

"If Grumman did Bombers..."

"If Grumman did Transports..."

Actually they did.....Avengers, Intruders, Traders, Greyhounds and Gulfstreams. But I'm not sure any of them could be said to have a 'house style' as such.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tigercat

It could be any Manufacturer however Grumman's a least their fighters do tend to have a distinctive House look, which not many other manufacturers have.

Weaver

The issue of "house style" is quite problematic, particularly over a long time period where technology changes. A few years back, I tried to come up with some aircraft designs for a friend's computer game (which never saw the light of day) which had national styles that were recognisable over three generations (post WWII, essentially). It was quite difficult: you can't use wing planform because it's so dependent on speed. I ended up using air-intake design and consequent fuselage layout, which worked quite well.

- Indiana Jones

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Weaver on May 01, 2010, 06:02:19 AM
The issue of "house style" is quite problematic, particularly over a long time period where technology changes. A few years back, I tried to come up with some aircraft designs for a friend's computer game (which never saw the light of day) which had national styles that were recognisable over three generations (post WWII, essentially). It was quite difficult: you can't use wing planform because it's so dependent on speed. I ended up using air-intake design and consequent fuselage layout, which worked quite well.

I will have to remember that!

This is a great suggestion, Grumman certainly has a unique style and this is intriguing.  :thumbsup:

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Daryl J.

If Grumman made an airliner, it would look like a Republic Rainbow with an out of control French Fry habit.  

[Edited for grammar]

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: tigercat on May 01, 2010, 12:09:16 AM

If Grumman did Spitfires....."

What a beautiful brute that would be!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

tigercat

A radial engine Spitfire sure would be intriguing even without Grumman styling

Daryl J.

If Grumman co-developed their aircraft with Hawker as did McDonnell, the Intruder/Prowler would look a bit different.   And in rather a better sort of way.   

If Grumman developed a high altitude reconnaissance aircraft for the Navy, it would have been Panther-meets U2S.  What I'm having difficulty picturing is the Camaro  chase car operating on a carrier deck.    :blink: :blink: :blink: