Main Menu

I love Matchbox GB

Started by proditor, May 02, 2010, 09:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

proditor

Thanks to Nils for the suiggestion, and it weould be fairly self-explanatory.  Build any Matchbox kit and make it funky.   :ph34r:

Due to my desire to not penalize folks by making them hunt up old kits on e-bay, I'd think we could include any of the reboxes as well.  So Airfix and Revell-Germany (Or any others I might have missed) would be completely appropos. 

Thoughts?

Weaver

Which Matchbox kits did Airfix re-issue? I thought they all went to RoG?

Given the high reputation of Matchbox biplanes, maybe I should use this one to get over my phobia of them?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Spey_Phantom

i do have a number of old matchbox kits in stash (A-7, TF-104, Buccaneer,...) and a few reboxed revell kits (Walrus Mk1, AD5 skyraider, T2 Buckeye,..)

so yeah, im pretty much in for this  ;D

Quote from: Weaver on May 02, 2010, 10:13:45 AM
Which Matchbox kits did Airfix re-issue? I thought they all went to RoG?

Given the high reputation of Matchbox biplanes, maybe I should use this one to get over my phobia of them?
revell does have quite a few reboxed kits (Hawker Fury, SA365 Dauphin, 1/72 Hawk T1, the new Gloster Gladiator i think is a rebox to)
reboxed airfix kits, i dont know, the 1/72 Sea Fury maybe, but i dont know.
Heller i think also re-released a few old matchbox kits but im not sure :huh:
old matchbox kits are reboxed by various manufacturers (PM Model, Revell, Academy (at least the 1/144 mig-23)...)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Radish

The Revell 1/72nd AD-5 is an old Monogram kit, not Matchbox, who did one in 1/48th.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

lancer

Wasn't going to do another GB this year, but I can't resist this one. I'm IN!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

beowulf

oooooo...like the sound of this one......a lot!   :thumbsup:

does any one have any kind of list of who did what as reboxes?.....although i think id try and get a proper matchbox kit just to relive that feeling of building something in more than one colour  :lol:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

ChernayaAkula

Splendid idea! :thumbsup:

Regarding Matchbox kits, there's a comprehensive list >>HERE<< on the Unofficial Airfix Modellers' Forum. It also includes Revell re-boxes, but I'm not sure about how complete it is. Should be no problem to find out, though.
Another list can be found >>HERE<< on ARC as reference for the Matchbox Madness GB.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Regarding other re-boxes, the Xtrakit Meteor NF was, I believe, the old Matchbox mould.

There was a 1/32nd Tiger Moth on ebay the other day, and the 1/32nd Sea Venom comes up quite regularly.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Radish

And let's face it....they don't take long to build.
I fancy building something with deep "trenches" so I can put WW1 infantry there ;D
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

puddingwrestler

Revell AG re-issued the matchbox armor kits, and the supermarine walrus, dunno exactly what else.
You can always tell a matchbox kit by looking at the sprues, and fuselages - they have 'made in Great Britain' and an item number starting with PK stamped on them. Revell AG has molded over these, but you can still see where they were.

Bonud points for using mint orignal box frother grade kits?
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

proditor

I thought Airfix reboxed some, but as they say the memory is the first thing to go.  ;)

Nice list of Matchbox kits with pictures.

http://www.matchboxkits.org/index.php?cPath=27_34

Weaver

Quote from: proditor on May 03, 2010, 06:58:23 AM
I thought Airfix reboxed some, but as they say the memory is the first thing to go.  ;)

That's a GOOD site - cheers!  :thumbsup:

Now then: if it's a Matchbox GB, but the model has to be a whiff, how much of it has to come from a Matchbox kit? All of it? Most of it? Some of it?

- Indiana Jones

proditor

Quote from: Weaver on May 03, 2010, 08:18:05 AM
Quote from: proditor on May 03, 2010, 06:58:23 AM

That's a GOOD site - cheers!  :thumbsup:

Now then: if it's a Matchbox GB, but the model has to be a whiff, how much of it has to come from a Matchbox kit? All of it? Most of it? Some of it?

I'm sort of torn on that as I had this crazy inspiration idea of taking a standard kit from someone else, and painting it all three colored like the old matchbox kits.   :ph34r:

But I think we could settle on "most" at say 51% excluding putty and sheet styrene.

Brian da Basher

They do this every couple of years over on ARC and it's always one of my favorite GBs! I've taken part in the last two they've had and I even won a kit in the raffle at the end once!

I agree that re-boxings of Matchbox kits (MPC, etc.) should be allowed. This will make it much easier to participate!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Weaver

Well I was contemplating one of my pet projects, which is to put Wellington wings on a Wellesley ('cos what a Wellesley really needs is obviously another 12ft of wingspan.... :wacko:*) , but it turns out the Matchbox Wellington is a Mk.X with Hercules rather than Pegasus engines.... :banghead: Doable with other makes of kit, of course.

(*Actually I'd crop them and hang torpedoes under it)

- Indiana Jones