Detailing ships

Started by ysi_maniac, May 03, 2010, 06:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

I have not built ships for at least 25 years and then I used to build them OOB. Now I want to build some in 1/600 and 1/700. This time I would like to add some details, particularly railings, stairs and wires. My questions are:

Best option for railings and stairs? PE, poles made of styrene rod united by wire or thread

Best option for wires? PE, stretched sprue, thread, ...

What do you use?
Any idea?

Thanks in advance!
Will die without understanding this world.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

proditor

I can also recommend Tom's Modelworks for PE.  Very stand up guy.   :thumbsup:

And Eduard of course, that's where my landship got it's crew.  Pre-painted to boot!

ChernayaAkula

Manufacturers like Lion Roar, Flyhawk, Eduard and so on also do more or less generic photo-etch for railings, ladders, doors and stuff like that.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

frank2056

Quote from: proditor on May 03, 2010, 07:45:56 PM
I can also recommend Tom's Modelworks for PE.  Very stand up guy.

He died a couple of years ago, but his company is still around and they have good, inexpensive generic sets.
Gold Medal Models also has excellent PE sets (some generic). They are more expensive than Tom's, but the details can be finer.
WEM is also very good.

Battlefleet Models has useful resin (bollards, winches, cargo pallets, vents) and brass accessories as well, like turned gun barrels and tapered masts.

Skywave/Pitroad have some excellent WWII and modern ship accessory kits (styrene) as well.

In 1/700, it would be insane and beyond the help of medication to try to replicate railings with styrene and wire. There's a Spanish modeler who uses stretched sprue to detail 1/350 and 1/400 ship models and his work is amazing.

Joe C-P

For wires that must be taut but not bend plastic masts, I've heard that the finest artificial hair for wigs works very well. I haven't tried it yet myself, but have been told it is very dark, very fine, and just stretchy enough.

As for the details, I echo the recommendations for WEM, GMM, Tom's, Flagship, Skywave/Pitroad, and Battlefleet. There are also l'Arsenal, Loose Cannon, as well as Starfighter for decals. There are others that I haven't bought, so I can't speak to them.

This is probably the best place on the web for plastic ship modelers, starting with the front page of links:

http://www.steelnavy.com/

JoeP, one of the resident shippies
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

ysi_maniac

Quote from: JoeP on May 04, 2010, 07:11:23 PM
For wires that must be taut but not bend plastic masts, I've heard that the finest artificial hair for wigs works very well.

This idea sounds genial. I will try :thumbsup:
Thanks
Will die without understanding this world.

Mossie

Also try fishing tackle shops.  Some of the wire used for making 'flies' for fly fishing is very fine.  It's strong & doesn't stretch, should work well for rigging.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.