Resin Models for First Timers Query

Started by Cobra, May 13, 2010, 09:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

If you've yet to try resin kits, avoid Unicraft like the plague.  The best description I could give them would be badly cast lumps of resin with an invitation to do a lot of scratchbuilding.  I've quite a few of Igor's kits and I've vowed to get no more - the Bv P.203 (one of my Holy Grail types to be kitted for many years) is damn near unbuildable and I think it would be easier to scratchbuild it.  I couldn't do any worse than Igor!

I'd also avoid CMK ones, simply on grounds of cost. 
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Martin H

Yeap, unicraft kits certainly arnt for the resin virgin. (says the one whos first full resin kit was the Unicraft Martin Baker Tankbuster!!!).  Anigrands smaller kits like the Lavi are ideal beginers kits. CMK and Planet (one and the same firm) are also good for first timers, all be it a bit steep price wise (as Lee has said). Some can be a bit complex. So look at the parts break down before buying if you can. And if you do jump in and try your hand, and something worries you, theres enougth of us on here who should be able to help out advice wise. All you have to do is ask.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

The Wooksta!

My first resin kit was the Airkit Enterprises Spitfire F.21 and it simply fell together.  It's a kit I'm still terribly fond of now and Paul Lucas is one of the best pattern makers I've seen.

My second resin kit, the Maintrack Fairey Firefly trainer, was awful.  Really nasty hard resin.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

deathjester

Ground Zero Games do some cracking sci fi tank kits, they go together quite easily, with the min. of sanding and puttying.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 21, 2010, 09:01:19 AM
My first resin kit was the Airkit Enterprises Spitfire F.21 and it simply fell together.  It's a kit I'm still terribly fond of now and Paul Lucas is one of the best pattern makers I've seen.

Absolutely!  :cheers:

I've got pretty much every one of his Spitfire conversion bits, and they fit as if they were molecullarly welded, they're that good. Mr Lucas sure knows his stuff.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

luft46models

The other option is Airmodel kits - often times the whole body is one part. If you can live with not dremeling out the intakes then they are quite a good starter kit. The other suggestion is to buy a Fw190 or similar etched brass cockpit area and that will give you all the parts to keep the detailer in you happy if you can't live with just a instrument panel, joystick and seat
AND NO UNICRAP !

William in Oz