Main Menu

House of York

Started by tigercat, May 19, 2010, 10:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

Post War a lot of designs were converted from Warplanes to something that could be used in the civilian world . Sometimes it was a part of an aircraft that was used ie: the Avro York or a more straight forward Lancastrian.

What other ex warplanes or parts of planes could have found new life in a civilian role for example if the Germans had won Ie: a FW Condor fire bomber or a similar development to the Avro York but with wings from a JU 290 or even say the Short Stirling equivalent of the Lancastrian . 

Ed S

I suppose some SR-71 fast cross-ocean FED EX transports would be useful when "Next Day Air" is too slow.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Cliffy B

Quote from: Ed S on May 19, 2010, 11:47:38 AM
I suppose some SR-71 fast cross-ocean FED EX transports would be useful when "Next Day Air" is too slow.

Ed

Yeah, I can hear the clerk now, "OK so your package is going from California to Germany.  It'll be there in 4 hours, that'll be $4,538 please."  ;D

How about a medi-evac SR-71?  For those times when you absolutely have to get someone (or an organ) somewhere in the blink of an eye?
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

jcf

Quote from: tigercat on May 19, 2010, 10:20:39 AM
but with wings from a JU 290  . 

The Ju 290 originated as an airliner, 'twas a development of the Ju 90.
The Ju 90 prototypes from V5 on had the wing planform seen on the Ju 290,
and the Ju 90 V11 and V13 (Ju 90 A-1 prototypes) became the Ju 290 V1 and V2.

If the follow on work had resulted in a production airliner it would have
been designated Ju 90 A.

Also the FW 200 C series combat aircraft were developed from the planned, but unbuilt, FW 200 B airliner,
so converting a Revell or Trumpeter C to an airliner is a real-world "Almost Was". A Condor fire-bomber is
not a good idea given the real aircraft's spar problems. A Ju 88 fire-bomber would be a possibility given the
sheer number constructed and the strength of the airframe, dunno where it would be used though except maybe
on the North shores of the Med or the Baltic perhaps? Of course, personally speaking, any notion, even in the realm
of fantasy, of Nazi Germany winning is nauseating. Thus my own constantly evolving no-Nazis alt-German history
scenarios.

The Stirling C Mk V transport conversion was used as an airliner post-war.

tigercat

You didn't see any US bombers that I'm aware of being used as Civilian transports in the same way as the Lancastrian, Halton etc. If they were probably not on a large scale

I imagine of this was because of the existence of the Dakota and the DC6 etc.

What might have been if the Dakota hadn't existed what would have filled that gap or the Allies hadn't assigned production of Transports to the US and there had been less of them because Douglas ended up licence building other aircraft.

MAybe some better suggestions for fire bombers would have been some of the amphibious / flying boat tyoes

ie BV 222 Viking or the Sunderland

Mossie

Each of the V-Bombers had an airliner/transport version designed around them.  The Avro 722 Atlantic, Handley Page HP.97 & HP.111 & Vickers VC.7 (civil)/V.1000 (military) all used their sisters V-Bomber wings attached to airliner/transport fuselages.  The Avro 718 was a dedicated transport with Vulcan wings.

The airliner versions have all been scratch built on this forum, Lenny & Thorvic did the HP.111, The Wooksta did the Avro Atlantic & V.1000.
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20730.0.html
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,17362.0/highlight,vickers+1000.html
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,17715.0/highlight,avro+atlantic.html
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,19523.msg274481/highlight,vickers+1000.html#msg274481
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Cliffy B

Tigercat, the B-29 was used to make the Startocruiser airliner.  Not sure on how widely used it was but it did serve for awhile as a cargo plane and aerial tanker.
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

jcf

The Boeing Model 377 Stratocruiser was developed from the Model 367-4-6 (YC-97A) which had more in common with
the B-50 than the B-29: 75ST aluminum structure, 28-cylinder R-4360s, taller tail etc.

The C-97 designation sequence went through the KC-97L the last of which were retired in 1977.

The Model 377 was used by Pan-Am, SAS, American Overseas Airlines (AA's transatlantic subsidiary), Northwest Airlines,
BOAC and United. The Pregnant Guppy was a converted 377.

While B-17 airliner conversions were used in Sweden and there were a number of C-87 (B-24 cargo version) used post-war by small
operators, for US operators the sheer number of available DC-3/C-47 variations along with DC-4/C-54s (the DC-6 was post-war) and the
Lockheed Constellation meant there was little point in using bomber conversions.

tigercat

Very interesting especially the V variants also didn't realise that there was a Super-SuperFortress B50 variant

As an alternative to a Germany winingthe war scenario I believe that certain German types were built post war by the French and Spanish

Amiot AAC 1 Toucan
CASA 352

were the French and Spanish versions of the Ju 52

and on a side note according to the Wikipedia article

Some Ju 52s were converted to civilian use. For example, B.E.A. operated eleven ex-RAF Ju 52/3mg8e machines from 1946–47 on intra-U.K. routes before Dakotas took over.

I didn't realise the RAF had used then so extensively .

So an alternative Scenario could be that the French or Spanish built another type alongside or instead of the JU 52 and adapted it for civil use

jcf

Quote from: tigercat on May 19, 2010, 04:08:12 PM
Some Ju 52s were converted to civilian use.

Umm, yeah well the Ju 52 originated as a commercial aircraft, the military versions came after.

nev

Quote from: tigercat on May 19, 2010, 02:49:51 PM
You didn't see any US bombers that I'm aware of being used as Civilian transports in the same way as the Lancastrian, Halton etc. If they were probably not on a large scale

Didn't Churchill have a B-24 as his personal transport?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

tigercat

I know what  I meant was I was suprised the RAF were operating 11 of them rather than that they were converted back

jcf

Quote from: nev on May 20, 2010, 01:11:40 PM
Quote from: tigercat on May 19, 2010, 02:49:51 PM

Didn't Churchill have a B-24 as his personal transport?

Liberator II/LB 30 AL 504 Commando, converted to single-tail form in 1944.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Mossie on May 19, 2010, 03:08:06 PM
The Wooksta did the Avro Atlantic & V.1000.

I did the former but never did finish the latter.  That got as far as the outer wing panels, the tailfin and two fuselage halves, one of which needs a serious amount of work to get it to shape (it was intended as a vacform mould).  I never could get my head round how to do the centre section with the integral intakes, though.  I just can't visualize it, no matter how hard I tried.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

I thought this thread was going to be about an updated Wars of the Roses  :banghead:

How about a B-36 conversion ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.