Main Menu

House of York

Started by tigercat, May 19, 2010, 10:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Same here, Chris...I was expecting Yorkist Spitfires vanquishing the horrid Lancastrians with all their foreign stuff.

Also, B-17s were civilianised postwar to serve as freighters in South America for example, carrying meat, convicts and so on. And for photo survey roles, firefighting.....
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Mossie

Best thing to come out of Lancashire???  The M62.....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Overkiller on May 21, 2010, 06:30:47 AM
Quote from: Mossie on May 21, 2010, 06:23:24 AM
Best thing to come out of Lancashire???  The M62.....

I can't argue with that Simon, it allows us Lancastrians to bring civilization to the heathen wastes of Yorkshire....

Talk about pot and kettle  ;D ;D

Pre WWII there were lots of bomber/transports designed as such. The Italian's were still doing so until the very late 30's at least.

How about purely civil versions of the Anson and Walrus ? Not conversions, as there probably were a few, but designed from scratch ?

Quote from: Radish on May 21, 2010, 05:03:40 AM
Same here, Chris...I was expecting Yorkist Spitfires vanquishing the horrid Lancastrians with all their foreign stuff.

Never realised that the Derby/Staffs border regions were part of greater Yorkshire or are they the wild "Marches" ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Quote from: Overkiller on May 21, 2010, 06:30:47 AM
Quote from: Mossie on May 21, 2010, 06:23:24 AM
Best thing to come out of Lancashire???  The M62.....

I can't argue with that Simon, it allows us Lancastrians to bring civilization to the heathen wastes of Yorkshire....

Yeah, you can keep your Corrie...
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Doc Yo

I don't know...with the last name of York, I allow myself the occasional moment of reflection that were
it not for bloody Henry Tudor, ( and a stray chromasome or two ) I might be Queen of England this
very day. But, no matter. I've toyed with the idea of an 'Imperium Eboracum*' airforce, WHIFing the
idea that the Romans never abandoned Britain, but apart for some idle musing, thats as far as its
gotten.

On this side of the pond, the B-36 cargo varient, the C-99, strikes me as a good candidate, as would
the beautiful Republic F-12 Rainbow.

*Read somewhere that was the original name of York city, but I couldn't tell you where.

thedarkmaster

Not to stir it a little....but

During the " Wars of the Rose's both the county of Lancashire and the county of Yorkshire were prodominatly LANCASTRIAN as was most of the north, it was a North south thing not a Yorkshire Lancashire thing.
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

JayBee

Tim,

Ouch!

Didn't know.
Have to say, didn't know, and didn't care.

BUT you have now got my attention, especially as my family name is from North Yorkshire.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

tigercat

I can see it now Yorkshire blue Hawker Hullicanes their white rose roundels catching the light

name wise

Blackburn Ripon
Avro York
Handley Page Halifax

With Yorkshire Names

Lancaster and Lancastrian are the only aircraft I can think of with Lancashire based names

although I suppose they could claim the entire outout of Blackburn Aviation making the Ripon a traitorous double agent.

nev

Quote from: Doc Yo on May 21, 2010, 10:28:32 AM
I've toyed with the idea of an 'Imperium Eboracum*' airforce, WHIFing the
idea that the Romans never abandoned Britain, but apart for some idle musing, thats as far as its
gotten.

*Read somewhere that was the original name of York city, but I couldn't tell you where.

It was indeed - when I did my backstory for my Roman Spitfire in the 1st Aztec War, New York was renamed Nova Eboracum.  ISTR that Constantine the Great was born in York as well.

But as for yorkies, as my lancastrian dad likes to say - you can always tell a yorky, but you can't tell him much :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

NARSES2

Quote from: thedarkmaster on May 21, 2010, 11:08:38 AM

Not to stir it a little....but

During the " Wars of the Rose's both the county of Lancashire and the county of Yorkshire were prodominatly LANCASTRIAN as was most of the north, it was a North south thing not a Yorkshire Lancashire thing.

Exactly sir  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Overkiller on May 21, 2010, 08:31:15 AM

Are thee from Yorkshire? No

Are thee from Lancashire? No

THEN MIND YER OWN BUSINESS!  ;D

Yes but us "Southerners" would probably have to send peacekeepers and then dole out the subsidies for the next 100 years or so to keep you in flat caps and whippets  :wacko: :rolleyes: ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

andrewj

Never mind all this nonsense about the houses of York and Lancaster, what matters is Henry Tudor was from gods own country, WALES .

thedarkmaster

Quotegods own country, WALES .

Sorry, when was there ever a country called Wales?  there is a Principality called Wales inside England is this what you meen  ;D  ;D  ;D :wacko:  :wacko:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

McGreig

Quote from: thedarkmaster on May 22, 2010, 05:34:28 AM
there is a Principality called Wales inside England

:huh: :blink: Hopefully coming soon to "My Library Just Grew Again" - Folens UK Atlas - - -

andrewj

Quote from: thedarkmaster on May 22, 2010, 05:34:28 AM

Quotegods own country, WALES .

Sorry, when was there ever a country called Wales?  there is a Principality called Wales inside England is this what you meen  ;D  ;D  ;D :wacko:  :wacko:

Hardly, now if you'd said a principality inside Great Britain called Wales, you might have kept some credibility.

kitbasher

Quote from: tigercat on May 21, 2010, 04:23:08 PM
I can see it now Yorkshire blue Hawker Hullicanes their white rose roundels catching the light

name wise

Blackburn Ripon
Avro York
Handley Page Halifax

With Yorkshire Names

Lancaster and Lancastrian are the only aircraft I can think of with Lancashire based names

although I suppose they could claim the entire outout of Blackburn Aviation making the Ripon a traitorous double agent.

I recall the Avro Manchester, the Avro Ashton and the Blackburn Blackburn.  For the flatcappers there's the Blackburn Beverly, of course.
5-4 then , and into stoppage time!
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter