Kurtisch Ku109E-4 - Komplete!

Started by kitbasher, May 22, 2010, 07:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Ok, carrying this over from the Alt. Luftwaffe build as I ran out of time with it.  Basically an Academy P-40B kind of re-imagined as a Bf109E.  The build was almost done:

But freed from the shackles of the GB I came to the conclusion that it still looked too much like a P-40, and not Luftwaffery enough.  So, major surgery to remove the underbelly fairing:

The plan is t make the belly flat and possibly fit an unused drop tank from an Airfix Bf109E (if I can find it).
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Looks very French to me, maybe captured in Luftwaffe colours ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Swanny

i have to agree on the French flavor, maybe something by MB?

NARSES2

With the nose I was thinking of an Moraine Saulnier project or maybe Arsenal VG ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 24, 2010, 02:34:39 AM
Not surprising when you take into soncideration that Wilhelm Armin Kurtisch (May 21, 1878 – September 15, 1978) was born in Alsace-Lorraine (then part of the German Empire) to Franz Kurtisch (a German-speaking Alsatian) and Lua Andre (an Alsatian of French descent).   ;D ;D
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on May 31, 2010, 10:39:04 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on May 24, 2010, 02:34:39 AM
Not surprising when you take into soncideration that Wilhelm Armin Kurtisch (May 21, 1878 – September 15, 1978) was born in Alsace-Lorraine (then part of the German Empire) to Franz Kurtisch (a German-speaking Alsatian) and Lua Andre (an Alsatian of French descent).   ;D ;D

Ah now I understand  ;D :thumbsup:

The Wooksta!

You could have left the belly as was and said it was a P40 mocked up to look like a Bf 109 for a film!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Finally.....let the mottling begin!
;D ;D

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Looks great, mottling will make it 'work' even more. Should cause more than a few double-takes  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

kitbasher

Here it is then, Kurtisch Ku109E-4 Wr Nr 2780 'Yellow 1' of 6/JG52, Peuplingue (France) October 1940.  Colour scheme and markings from Almark sheet C11, courtesy of the IPMS decal bank.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
The kit is the rather ancient Academy P-40B that was going to be sold off once replaced in the stash by a HobbyBoss P-40B (bought just a few weeks before the Trumpeter P-40B hit the streets).  Then the Alt Luftwaffe GB came along.......

You cannot view this attachment.
Final shot is the Ku-109E and the almost-finished Hobbyboss P-40B.  ;D ;D

Tophe

ready for playing as Holywood's actor... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Weaver

That looks very smart - the chin radiator and u/c give it an air of "Stuka" without being specific, so great for getting head-a-scratching. Nice paint job too.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Taiidantomcat

I wouldn't be able to guess its origin whatsoever. Nice work  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

kitbasher

Thanks chaps, glad you like it

Quote from: Weaver on August 03, 2010, 04:32:59 AM
the chin radiator and u/c give it an air of "Stuka" without being specific, so great for getting head-a-scratching

Pleased you see the chin radiator that way, Weaver - it was exactly the affect I was hoping to achieve.   ;D ;D