Graf Zeppelin Air Wing camo schemes?

Started by famvburg, May 22, 2010, 09:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famvburg

Most of the b & w pics I see it's hard to tell what colors some of the Stukas & Me 109Ts were. I've seen a few color drawings of Stukas & 109Ts in a dark gray scheme, I think. I'm working on a torpedo Stuka & have rounded up a few things to make an Me 155A (both 1/32) & I notice the scheme on the AModel Bf 109W is 'different' & have been wondering if anyone's got any thoughts or ideas as to what the Germans may have done for the GZ's a/c. Or would they probaly just use land based scemes anyway? While not sure of any patterns, I'm thinking dark & light grays, blue grays & white in various combos & patterns.

pyro-manic

What about using the colours that were on the Ar 95 spotter planes? Dark green (RLM 70/71?) over sky blue (RLM 65?) - maybe add splinters to the upper surfaces.

Alternatively, use the standard splinter patterns, but adjust the colours to blue-greys and dark grey?

EDIT: Wings Palette's profiles: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/466/2/0#18
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

GTX

First of all let me say that I can't wait to see your 1/32 Me 155A!!!!

As to colour schemes, I might have something in my references - I'll get back to you.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Cliffy B

Take a look in my profile thread.  I did a bunch of variations on some Me-262s on the Graf Zepp.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,28037.60.html
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

dumaniac

Given that the Graf Zepplin did not become operational, a Luft 46 option presents itself.  I did a 262 carrier version, folded wings in 48, based on RLM 24 as the main colour - its a great blue and a nice departure from the standard greys and greens.  Blue with grey blue looks good or you could go with a three colour wave pattern.  If I could work out how to post pics - I'd put it out there.

cheers Dumaniac

NARSES2

Quote from: dumaniac on May 25, 2010, 01:15:10 AM
If I could work out how to post pics - I'd put it out there.

cheers Dumaniac

When you hit "reply" there is a "additional options" clicky at the bottom left of the screen. Click on that and there is a box labled "Attach :" Click on browse and then select the image from your pc (max size 256kb). Then simply post.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

A Ta 152 wing with a bit of hacking around is close enough to an Me 155 wing.  I started one in 72nd with a set of resin ones but never finished it.  There's a surprise!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

dumaniac

Narses2 - thanks for the guidance - I'll give it a go tomorrow - cheers Dumaniac

NARSES2

Quote from: dumaniac on May 25, 2010, 03:37:15 AM
Narses2 - thanks for the guidance - I'll give it a go tomorrow - cheers Dumaniac

No problem

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sequoiaranger

...and it was fun. The trouble with trying to "replicate" German naval air schemes is that there weren't any. The overwater maritime patrol planes of Germany, and even the floatplane Ar-196 on warships all had "land" camo.

That being said, I tried out some schemes on my "famous" He-211 using "Dunkel Turkisgrun", a home-made mix of dark blue-green to combine with "DunkelGrun" for a soft-edged camo. I then put light-gray "flecks" in it to simulate whitecaps and just break up a pattern. Even though the slight blue tint doesn't come out in the photo, I think the result came out sweet.

What's nice is that the whole field is "open" to experiment without the "bother" of some JMN telling you you can't do that.

Here are a couple of "Graf Zeppelin" aircraft for grins: a Ju-97 Kormoran ("Kate" with an inline engine), and an Arado Ar-196T Seepferd" (Seahorse) dive bomber. Can't tell the camo schemes in this photo. The Kormoran has the same camo as the He-211 without the white flecks, and the Seepferd just has a blotchy camo.

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!