C'mon over and have some fun with Crazy Taxi!

Started by puddingwrestler, May 28, 2010, 03:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Should be getting the carpets and chrome into the interior today, then get the engine finished anc chassis done, some final putty work and then paint.
Then the Toyopet Crown.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

puddingwrestler

And now some updated pics:
First, the smoothed out versionof the rear (this is an older pic, but basically the same as now)

Here's what I was complaining about with the front rolled pan (it was worse in the flesh!)

Here's the interior painted and chromes (apart from door handles etc. which I will paint later)

Here it is with the flock sprinkled on:

When the glue dries I'll post more pics.

puddingwrestler

As promised, pics of the fully flocked interior.
If you don't like 'em, go flock yourself.

Should get a chance to start exterior paint today and finish the details of the interior. Also get the engine/chassis built and done. Hopefully.

puddingwrestler

Behold the awe inspiring might of the home made out of straws paint stand!

After the frist coat of paint:

It'll need about five coats or so I reckon.

puddingwrestler

Four coats of tiger yellow later...
exterior paint is done, I need to paint the inside of the hood and wheel wells still.
Then polish etc, lay decals etc. etc. etc.
Then final assembly.
The engine is done and most of the chassis is done.
Therefore I shall have to wait for he paint to fully dry and polish before things can be finished.
So I shall start the Tofudabeest.

puddingwrestler

And now: a picture of the engine. It's a bit wonky. Don't blame me, these AMT kits show thier age.

Just call me Ray

They had a recent Hyundai commercial with a guy who didn't know how to play Crazy Taxi. Personally I find it and the follow-ups a little more than insulting :rolleyes:
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

puddingwrestler

I know I seem to complain about this kit a lot. It's not the worst thing I've ever built by a long chalk, but AMT seem to ahve made a few strange basic errors.
Like the tyres being to narrow.
The custom tyres (which are rather nice) don't fit the custom wheels. They actually slosh about because the wheels are about 1.5mm wider that them... This isn't an age issue. The custom tyres are nice and new, not taken from an old mold like the rest of the kit. It's like AMT went to thier parts bin, pulled out the first tyres which looked right, said "near enough is good enough" and threw them in the box...

Anyway, should be finished soon. Not work yesterday due to work commitments, no painting today cause it gets dark early and my shed has no lights. Been finishing off interio trim and so forth and working out exactly how the taxi stripe decals will go on.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

puddingwrestler

Got the insides of the various bits which need thier insides painted painted this morning and last night. Now just a question of decals, clear coat and polish before final assembly.

puddingwrestler

I'm in the midst of applying bare metal foil and polishing and waxing the car... the paint turns out suprisingly glossy since it looked very flat when sprayed on...

puddingwrestler

The swearing contines with the decal placement...
The checkered stripes are not really long enough. They're designed for modern cars, so they curve down at both ends to follow fender shapes. I want straight, so I used some straight sections and tried to combine two pieces.
First porblem: The straights are not the same thickness as the other bits, so I had to cut up the only bits that where the same thickness, which were curved.
Second porblem: On the passenger side, the decal tore. I got it down okay, but when I went to add MicroSol (or MicroSet, the one you add after the decal is on) the decal lifted away and fell apart.
So I tried to use one of the modern side strips and cut off the curved bit. This means the passenger side stripe is actually thicker than driver's side, but not much. This would be okay, btu the decal twisted up on itself while I was placing it. Couldn't fix it, so had to use the second copy of that stripe... which worked.
I'm sick of long thing decals and will never use anything so big again.

Rant mode over.

puddingwrestler

The beast is finished! The decals nearly drove me to tears, I forgot to install all sorts of things, the engine compartment doesn't line up and there are holes in the body where the putty went wrong. But it's done. And it's very shiny.

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

sudzonic

That is so cool................ great work.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul!