Tactical markings on V-1's?

Started by Geoff, May 30, 2010, 10:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

I am building a 1/48th V-1, (the standard unmanned cruise missile).
What do you lot think about them carrying theatre tactical markings such as white nose and wings for North Africa and yellow for the Eastern Front?
I was initially going to put full markings, roundels, ID number etc but decided not to, although I might put a fuselage marking on.
But for ID to your own AAA when outbound from a ground launch should it have the underwing colour markings? :huh:

raafif

mmm, does sound a bit more colourful !!
Don't know about on the stock V-1 but a manned or Mistel version would have markings -- & maybe nose art ??
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Gondor

Real Life the V1 carried no markings other than for fuel filling and such. There would be no need for any other markings as it was a very distinctive sounding thing and of course it was flying away from German occupied bases I would also assume that any local units would have been told a little bit about the weapon so that they would not try to shoot them down.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Geoff

Thanks - all good points.
Hmm maybe an air launched one with underwing stripes only then?
Also if I went for one from a What-if mobile launcher (based on a Panzer)  it would need a more ground cammo  type of scheme but no ID markings?
Sorry sort of thinking this out as it goes along.

The Wooksta!

If you're ground launching from vehicles, you'd need something big enough to carry the launch ramp, probably a pair of Panthers, given their wide tracks and the fact that once the E50/E75 came into service there'd be plenty left for conversion.

As for markings, given that it was a one shot weapon, there'd be no need for any.  The air launched ones never had any either.  Unless you want to add some warhead ID markings - three triangles inside a circle perhaps?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Aircav

I think one painted up in Hans-Joachim Marseille colours would look great, sand upper and blue underside with white nose and wingtips especially with the JG27 badge on the nose or even one painted up as Erich Hartmann's machine.  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Aircav

The US put markings on their Loon version
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

bluedonkey99

CGD have just launched thier 1/144 V-1 Launch Ramp sets, i think Mach-2 do one in 1/72.
   http://kampfgruppe144.blogspot.com/2010/05/1144-wwii-v-1-launch-ramp-by-cgd.html
   http://www.mach2.fr/page_v1.htm

If you were to have them "mobile" launched would it be just a "transport & Deploy" or a more Scud like mobile platform?

Someone this forum did an Enzian style launched rocker off a panzer launcher, but i think these were launched from what is now a more convential mounting?

as for colouring on V-1, as pointed out the V-1 just had basic markings for "fill here" "danger here" etc.... 
  but, this is whiffery and you can be as exotic as you like!

Geoff

Thanks Aircav, I thought I had seen one with some sort of marking - mind you IIRC there was an artwork on this site for a Finnish one or similar.

BD99 - I was thinking "Scud", but I have just looked at your links and had forgotten just how long the launch ramp was. Mind you if the missile went on one vehicle, the ramp could be in pieces on another, with a combat engineer unit to assemble it on a roadway. I think there was a similar thing done with V-2's in Holland in 44 - 45. Sounds impractical ie suicidal. I think I will go with the air launch idea.

Green Dragon

If you want to use a single Panther launcher how about fitting jettisonable booster rockets to the V-1 like the Bachem Natter had?

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Geoff

Yeah thats an idea, cheers.

Just had a thought - how about a BoB comemorative scheme? :banghead: :wacko:

Radish

Got a magazine cover for an all yellow V2 that I'm doing....figures, vehicle, etc.. Not found any bikini-clad women as the attacking force in 1/48th yet though ;D

I'll try to find the magazine cover.

On the V1, Hartman's "Tulip" nose would look good too.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Geoff

GTX

You could turn it into a re-usable recon drone with cameras replacing the warhead - that would justify tactical markings as well as mission markings.  Same goes as a training target drone for gunners.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!