Sikorsky S-61 Sea King

Started by Aircav, June 03, 2010, 04:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

There's an expensive conversion kit (£42.00 worth of expensive!) for the 'Land King' available from Whirlybirds, but it's probably a LOT cheaper to do it yourself with two or more S-61 kits and some styrene sheet. There was a conversion article in a very ancient IPMS UK magazine on how to do exactly that.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

MiB

Quote from: Aircav on June 03, 2010, 04:44:19 AM
Found this picture while looking in some old Flight International magazines

Which pic? :unsure:
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

Captain Canada

Ya no/ removed pic. I know the sponsons have to be larger but what else is needed ? Love to build a few proper S-61s. Bristow's and CCG for sure....

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

You meant the stretched S-61N, or is there something else?  What I meant was to full remove the boat-hull and have a more conventional fueslage, kind of like what the Mi-8 was to the Mi-14.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

The S-61L has almost a flat bottom to the hull, with just the 'bow' looking like a boat. It wouldn't be difficult to build a real flat bottom to one, but I'd baulk at doing that to a £42 conversion on an £8 basic kit!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Captain Canada

Phew ! Glad they never made that Sea king  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 12, 2013, 09:57:48 AM
The S-61L has almost a flat bottom to the hull, with just the 'bow' looking like a boat. It wouldn't be difficult to build a real flat bottom to one, but I'd baulk at doing that to a £42 conversion on an £8 basic kit!

Only flat on the port side and on the first, N300Y, only in the area of the fuselage extension.

I worked on the wiring side of the S-61 shortening program at Heli-Pro in the mid-90s, shortening L and N
models for the Canadian heli-logging market, and became intimately familiar with the innards of the beast.
;D
I have some N model drawings copied from the structural manual, and somewhere, damned if I can find
it  :banghead:, a drawing of the L model fixed gear.

Captain Canada

Cool stuff, Jon. Shortening them was a great idea and quite popular. I love Sea Kings !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

S-61 based 'Universal Tactical Vehicle', very much a flying-crane arrangement:
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1961/1961%20-%200077.html
(permanently dead link)

S-61N GA drawing:

You cannot view this attachment.

Typical instrument panel:
You cannot view this attachment.

reddfoxx

Searched but can't find a thread on the Sea King.  We saw them a lot the other day at the US inauguration, and I got to thinking: are the Marine One versions the last Sea Kings flying?  Who else has them?

DarrenP2

going on all versions including westland and Agusta?

Royal Navy still operate the AEW variant as their last seakings. and I think the canadian Airforce are still operating theirs.

jcf

reddfoxx

Ah, thanks, I searched the site with no luck. 

Surprised the RAF still has some.  My searching showed a few each in several South American forces, some in Malaysia, and possibly two dozen in Canada.

reddfoxx

I posted in another thread about this, but the shots of VH-3s at the inauguration on Friday made me wonder how many Sea Kings are still in service.  My quick online research shows:  India, Malaysia, Venezuela, Iran, Spain, Peru, Argentina, and Brazil, all in very small numbers.  Canada appears to have 24, being replaced in the next few years. Someone commented that a few RAF AEW versions are still in service.