Main Menu

Anglo- Iraqi War

Started by tigercat, June 09, 2010, 04:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

An opportunity to portray aircraft from a less well known conflict and also familar aircraft  in unusual colour schemes as well as from several different countries

http://mogggy.org/iraq/iraq.htm

PR19_Kit

Is that an addon to a computer game, or.....?

My Dad was at Habbaniya during that 'misunderstanding' and has told some lurid tales of how they had to operate during the siege. These included flying from the playing fields on the opposite side of the hangars to main airfield so the aircraft weren't shelled from the Heights south of the airfield. Also they flew bombed-up Audaxes out to the desert at night, landing behind enemy lines, and flying back to Habbaniya in the dawn at ultra low level over the heights and dropping their bombs. They were then able to land on the playing fields in the confusion generated by the bombing!

He was only there by accident, having flown up from one of the Canal Zone airfields earlier and was then trapped by the siege as it developed. The Station Commander promptly seconded him to 4 FTS, as he'd flown Audaxes before the war, and he was there till the siege was lifted.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tigercat

I think it is but it's also got some good pics of the aircraft involved.

It's an amazing story I'm just reading a book about it all Hitlers Gulf War from the library .
outnumbered , out gunned and with the enemy having the high ground and more modern weapons and equipment. The relief column included hire buses and taxis the drivers of which had to be chivvied up as some of them had been hired by the day and were trying to make more money.

PR19_Kit

Just remembered another of Dad's tales of the siege.

They had a couple of Vickers Valentia/Vernon/Victoria transports on charge, used normally to fly supply missions back and forth to the Canal Zone, but the ones at Habbaniya were converted into bombers (!) by fitting the spare bomb racks from the Audaxes in multiple.

Not only that, they also built one complete aircraft from spare and scrap parts they had 'in stock' although they weren't sure what to call it as it had a mixture of fuselage, wings and engines, none of which Vickers had ever put together before!  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Maybe it should have been called a Bitsa

Bitsa this and Bitsa that....

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

tigercat

Vickers Various

I don't believe theres a model but you could start with a Vimy as the base possibly and scratch the fuselage ?

Geoff

This would make a good GB. I like the idea of Italian Bredas with Iraqi markings. :thumbsup:

jcf

Quote from: Geoff on June 10, 2010, 04:56:49 PM
This would make a good GB. I like the idea of Italian Bredas with Iraqi markings. :thumbsup:

Iraqi marked Breda Ba 65s aren't a Whif.

http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/CFS2_Profiles/MTO_AXIS_Iraq.html

PR19_Kit

Quote from: tigercat on June 10, 2010, 04:24:03 PM
Vickers Various

I don't believe theres a model but you could start with a Vimy as the base possibly and scratch the fuselage ?

Magic! I wish Dad was alive still, he'd have laughed his socks off at that!  ;D

Someone did a vacform fuse for the Frog Vimy to make a Vimy Commercial some years ago (it looked like a barrage balloon...) maybe Formaplane? And there was a complete Vimy Commercial kit in 1/144 as well.

Regards
Kit

Fulcrum

hmmm... Iraqi ME 109
            Iraqi FW-190A-D
            Iraqi Me-262
            Iraqi Ju-87

good amount of possibilities.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

tigercat

De Haviland Tiger Moth Bomber

Iraqi Hs 123
Iraqi Hs 126

There was a large amount of rivers and canals  plus I believe  a large lake so opportunities for Flybing boats maybe Either Commandeered commercial types or RAF / Iraqi

Desert Camouflage Walrus anybody?

PR19_Kit

Indeed, Habbaniya was one of Imperial Aiways stations for the C Class Empire 'boats en route to India etc.. The river, I think the Euphrates, went past the north side of the airfield site and Lake Habbaniya was just north of that. I've never seen photos of the flying boat base there, more's the pity.

Regards
Kit

Geoff

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 10, 2010, 09:39:54 PM
Quote from: Geoff on June 10, 2010, 04:56:49 PM

Iraqi marked Breda Ba 65s aren't a Whif.

http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/CFS2_Profiles/MTO_AXIS_Iraq.html

Doh! I didn't realise that - cheers. Geoff.

jcf

When 31 Squadron flew the troop lift from India to Iraq they made use of borrowed A-W Atlanta airliners.

Air Enthusiast Ten has a decent article on the 1941 Iraq air campaign and it mentions that while many pilots claimed
to see Me 109s, none were actually sent. The article concludes with the following:
" ... it had been the first defeat suffered by the Luftwaffe in the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern area, but one is left to wonder if the outcome of this mini-saga would not have been somewhat different had the Fligerführer Irak received the support that had
been promised."

RIAF profiles from the AE article.

Jon

James

Might be a way for the HP Heyford to get in on some action.

Early radar equipped, closed canopy, night intruder Heyfords  :wacko: