Gondor's Lancaster Mk XL

Started by Gondor, June 10, 2010, 02:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

I do know the width of the Shackleton fuselage is greater than of the Lancaster, the bomb bay doors do flatten out on the bottom though so they can be reduced in width enough to look convincing when in the open position. I have yet to see a picture of a parked Lancaster, Lincoln or for that matter a Shackleton, that has its doors closed unless it had just parked up or was about to leave.

I know the solution is not ideal, but its far far better than trying to make a plunge/crash moulded set of doors.

My idea on their use is to have the higher and flatter part of the doors towards the centre of the bomb bay. This will mean that one set of doors is backwards but that makes no matter in this case. The doors will also be too long, no problem either as some of the removed section will provide the centre section fuselage between the bomb bays on which will the radar will be fitted.

Managed to get the bomb bay roof sorted out today though, realised why it was so important that I did this part next....... I still have to put the port fuselage together and I needed the bomb bay roof together to provide support for the lower part of the fuselage. To strengthen the joints between the various pieces that will be making up the extended fuselage I decided before I cut the components up that each piece would overlap the joint of its similar part on the opposite side of the fuselage. Additional strength is provided by pieces of plastic card on the inside of the each joint.

Next step is to decide exactly where the turrets will go in the upper fuselage.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

buzzbomb

I like this idea and a great use of a "retired" kit.

The build is coming along well.

My thoughts on the weapons payload.. what about a really early type of Blue Steel stand off bomb.. perhaps using a late mark spitfire fuselage and wings or a Meteor sort of arrangement.

James

Buzzbomb, I think the stand off missile is a good idea for this build.

Gondor if you take up this idea, maybe you could make something out of a Brewster Buffalo or maybe a Folland Gnat if you fancy something a bit more 'advanced'.  :smiley:

The Wooksta!

A Miles M.52 with a warhead would fit nicely into the timescale.  This was intended to go supersonic and there were controlled scale models for tests.  A Lancaster was intended as the drop ship for the piloted version.

Two options - the AV Resins kit (rough & pricey) or scratch build one.  A V2 in 72nd is perfect for the fuselage.

Personally, I'd still go for a Blue Danube armed version with Lancastrian nose and tail.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Thanks for all the ideas guys, just deciding where to exactly put the forward upper turret at the moment. The rear upper turret is going where the upper turret for the Mk VII has its one though I will be using the FN.20 turret for both, well I have a few spare now seeing how three of the Airfix Lancaster's have gone into this build...... or is it four..... I seam to have lost count  :blink: :blink:

Defiantly going to have a dual bomb bay though with conventional weapons, unless I fit a Little Boy inside as that easily fits  ;D

Any help in locating Shackleton Bomb Bay doors and SEA markings would be well received. I would be prepared to swap/buy in exchange if necessary.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

The Wooksta!

I'd go with a pair of Martin turrets with twin .50 cals.  Liberator ones should do, although not ideal.  Alternately, a Bristol turret with a pair of 20mm Hispanos.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

hurricanemk1c

20mm's all the way for me!

The Wooksta!

PM me with your address, Gondor.  Could be able to help.

BTW, I think it'll need Lincoln fins and rudders. A2Zee do some nice replacements for the ones in the Revell kit and they also fit the Airfix one too.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

I do like the idea of using the Bristol Turret with 20mm, problem is getting hold of the darn thing. If I did use one then it would probably be only one.

Martin Turrets also prove to be a bit of a logistical problem, I would fit two of these if I had them though.

I am contemplating using Shackleton tail assemblies modified to resemble enlarged Lancaster fins. I am sure I have the remains of a scrapped Shackleton around somewhere, possible I threw it out as it was badly warped.

Gondor

Gondor

O.K...... some more work carried out. I have added more scrap plastic as filling for the gaps between the wing parts and have now added filler.

I am going to let the filler set for about 24 hours before I start to attack it with files and such.

The build will be on a go-slow for a while unfortunately as I am sourcing some parts that I have decided to use. The feedback from everyone has been a great help with ideas which have actually modified what I was originally going to do with this build. Thanks guys  :thumbsup:

Gondor

ChrisF

Ive only just come across this build and im most interested.... With the six engines it did make me think of this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Bomber   ;D

Gondor

Not done much with this build for ages but I haven't forgotten it. I am still looking for a set of Shackleton bomb bay doors to go with the kit. I have decided to use the normal Lancaster mid upper turret, probably with a second one located near the cockpit and I will be using Shackleton fins and rudders. Other than that it will be a normal Lancaster, if an out-sized Lancaster could be considered normal.

Gondor

Gondor

Decided to use this as a place to put odds and ends as well as progress on the Lancaster, when I stop getting distracted by other builds.

So here goes.......

This is my first attempt at pre-shading.

I used a felt pen to add the lines followed by use of some kitchen paper soaked in white spirit to remove the excess. Maybe this is the method I should use on the finished model with a protective coat of Klear/Future ? Thoughts please

Gondor

PR19_Kit

A swing-wing Lancaster eh? Now that's SERIOUS whiffing......  ;) ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pablo1965