Gondor's Lancaster Mk XL

Started by Gondor, June 10, 2010, 02:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 04, 2010, 04:49:25 PM
A swing-wing Lancaster eh? Now that's SERIOUS whiffing......  ;) ;D

Nooooo... just could not change the topic !!!!!!

My intent was to use this thread for al odds and ends of modelling I am doing, not just for the Lanc

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Yippeee !!!!  :cheers: :drink: :party:

I managed to change the Topic title !!  :lol: :thumbsup: :cheers: :drink:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

I promise that I will get back to this build....... hopefully I can manage to get it built for one of the two BIG Scottish show, Perth or Glasgow..... no idea which year though

Gondor

Gondor

OK, it has been over a year since I last posted anything here and I am intending to restart this build so I thought I better revive this thread.

Gondor

Gondor

OK, not actually put much physical work into the build since my last post but I have put a lot of thought into what I am doing with it.

Most of you will have seen my request concerned with help for the mid upper turret for the bomber. I have come to realise that I may have to scratch build the interiors for all three as the rear turret will be a FN 82 the transparency for which will be provided by a Squadron canopy set I have for a "normal" Lancaster build I have in mind. Only problem with that is there is no interior and my solution for the mid upper turret will need lots of work and of course the Airfix FN 5 front turret is terrible so I may as well rebuild that as well !. Nothing like making a rod for your own back is there !

Other than all the above my mind has moved onto the markings for the bomber. Tiger Force is the intended operator for this build so the white upper surfaces with black undersides will be the scheme. Roundels it the question though, which style of roundel to use and if the Blue/pail blue or Blue/White roundels are used would they be only for the fuselage sides or for the upper wings as well or should I use the normal markings that the MK VII used post war?

If I do go for the SEAC roundels I will probably require help with sourcing them, but first things first, advice please preferably based on factual information  to a greater or lesser extent.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

Tiger Force was to have been based on Iwojima, alongside the US B-29sand very likely would have had British Pacific Fleet style markings.  However, not all would have been based there (space restrictions) and some would have been based in India, so you could also have SeAC markings anyway.

FN82 - just use the standard Airfix injection inner bits and add two larger barrels for the .50 cals.  After a coat of black paint and hidden behind the glazing, you can't tell the difference.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Great info Lee and a nice sudgestion. I will adapt the Revell Turrets putting extra detail into them and then use Squadron canopies to glaze them as that contains a FN 82 which is the .50 armed turret.
I have decided to get decals for SEAC B-24's and "adapt" the markings. I have some Aeroclub machine guns that I can use for some of the turrets and I am sure that I could buy some barrels by Quickboost to do the job as well.

Gondor

McColm

You might try and fit the tail rudders just behind the cockpit and fit the wings where the rudder tail fins would have gone. I've seen a picture of this layout on a B-17G, not too sure if this was a real whiff or someone just using CGI.
I might build that idea myself. :banghead:

Gondor

McCalum, the basic layout will be the same. The fuselage is streached as are the wings. Similar idea to how the Germans did with some of their aircraft.

I have changed the topic title to reflect the change in the designation of the aircraft which should be more easily understood by Joe Public.

Gondor

Gondor

Finally I have made some progress!!

The above shows most of the components that will make up the four turrets of this build. An F.N.5 turret for the nose from a Revell Lancaster, an F.N.50 mid-upper turret, a Martin Type 250CE-23A mid-upper turret and parts from a Revell F.N.20 rear turret along with parts from a Hasegawa F.N.82 rear turret to make one F.N.82 turret. The odd shaped parts in the top right corner are the Hasegawa Villiage Inn AGLT parts.

Rear Turret parts. Some modifications are need to be made to allow the transparencies from the Hasegawa kit to fit to the Revel parts. I do know that I could have used a vac formed turret but I prefer working with Injection molded parts when I can. It also brings a solidity to the part.

The stepped areas, shown near the top,need their height reduced so that the lower lip of the part will fit around the edge of the Revell turret floor.

This is the parts of the turret being held together by friction and will power to give an idea of what the turret will look like.

Gondor

sequoiaranger

I remember reading that the only other Allied aircraft besides the Boeing B-29 capable of carrying an atomic bomb (weight and size) was the Lancaster. Could your "XL" Lanc be *THE* preferred atomic bomber??

I have a "rubber bullet" used by police 12-gauge shotguns that certainly resembles an "atomic bomb" (resembles a small blimp). You would be welcome to it!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Hobbes

ISTR the Americans were initially looking into using the Lancaster to deliver their A-bomb. One case of NIH syndrome later, the B-29 was modified for the role. 

Gondor

I have no plans to have the Lancaster XL nuclear capable. I do have Fat Man and Little Boy bombs from a B-29 kit available. I am only twisting history a bit with this build by having my Lancaster developed instead of the Lincoln which was not developed as an atomic bomber.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Erm, why are they all yellow Gondor? Is that some sort of early stealth coating perhaps?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit