Box art model builders tell thier stories...

Started by puddingwrestler, June 11, 2010, 06:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Ever wonder who builds the model cars features in the photos on the boxes? Well, Bonedigger's Styrene Archeology has a nice little article where various box art model builders tell thier stories - I find some of the things Terry Jessee managed to do amazing - especially the time he built a demo RoboCop taurus over night!
The Article In Question.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

PR19_Kit

A good friend of mine, since the early 60s, did a lot of the Airfix box art models of the period. The time demands they made were just as silly and impractical as AMT's, with the result that many models were only painted one one side!

I used to do English language instruction sheets for Riko, who imported many Japanese kits, and most of them had somewhat suspect 'English' instructions. So I got the 'raw' kit with the Japanese instructions, built the kit and wrote the English versions as I went, to coincide with the piccies on the sheet.

Great fun, and in some cases very informative. The big 1/21 scale Tamiya Tiger 1 tank took for EVER as it had zillions of parts and most of them moved! I learned almost everything I know about tanks from that period, although that's precious little.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit