Main Menu

Model A Viper

Started by sotoolslinger, June 14, 2010, 06:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I am liking this Ron, you have put a lot of work and detail into this for sure, and sod what the stuck up goat herder on the afore mention site has to say.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

sotoolslinger

Thanks Chris I am glad you like the way she is turning out .As soon as she is ready for paint I am going to do a MK IV :wacko:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

sotoolslinger

I have GOT to QUIT detailing this thing :blink: :banghead:

I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

I think :blink: I am actually done sticking stuff on this one. So the inevitable PSR

I amuse me.

John Howling Mouse

Aw....SPLAT!!!  Now, you've gone and done it: you've blown my frickin' MIND, man!   :o  I'd have to say this is more interesting than anything I've ever done before.  Wow, I am positively humbled over here.  Weird that this other fellow didn't seem to see value in it just because he could ID some of the parts (?).   On the Replica Props Forum, ID'ing parts has to be one of their favorite passtimes over there. 

Fantastic, Ron.  Wow!   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Aw heck Baz :o It ain't half as good as most of your builds.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
But I appreciate the strokin :wub:
Some day, when I grow up, MAYBE I could be on the same plane :thumbsup:
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.

hurricanemk1c

Nice buld - nice detail!

But wouldn't the canopy affect the engine intack right behind it? The mini 'Vulcans' (707's) had that problem - disturbed air going into the intake

Weaver

Comment.  :wacko:

Okay, okay.... ;D

Nicely done Ron! It's very credible as an early Viper. Definately got the style, but a bit less "refined" than the later ones. I particularly like the pipework you wrapped around the aft end in the last round of detailing: pulls it together nicely. As for the numpty on the other site, well I've never seen an actually built (i.e. not CGI) movie model yet than somebody couldn't identify something on. It's not whether you use identifiable bits, it's how you integrate them so they "feel right".

hurricanemk1c: you're absolutely right in real world terms, but all the BSG Vipers have had that "issue" (and several others) since day one, so Ron's fits nicely into the aesthetic of the series/movie.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

cthulhu77

Looking sweet dude !  Just don't light up a cig inside the room...that much psr, and I'll be reading about you on the news !!! Boom !

Agreed, love the pipework, and I hate to say it...but that grill on the nose kicks donkey.   :cheers:

Mossie

Quote from: Weaver on June 27, 2010, 02:16:24 AM
hurricanemk1c: you're absolutely right in real world terms, but all the BSG Vipers have had that "issue" (and several others) since day one, so Ron's fits nicely into the aesthetic of the series/movie.

I've never quite been sure why Vipers & others have intakes, except it looks cool or inventing some kind of fuel scoop technology.  The Viper has always a good looking design.

Enjoying this one Ron, looking forward to the finish! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

hurricanemk1c

Thanks for that Weaver - forgot we were in sci-fi!

sotoolslinger

Thanks to all Y'all :wub:
I really do think I am done detailing this time :blink: I actually have very little PSR left to do.
As to the functional aspects of the intakes I have always imagined that Viper engines actually work differently in space or atmosphere.
Or Perhaps they are some sort of free gas collectors in space. :blink: :rolleyes:
I knew that nose in front of the the canopy needed something. I just did not know what. Then I went a different direction. Instead of just sticking to aircraft I scavenged that part from a tank. :wacko:
I sometimes forget how much nifty stuff armor has on it :wub: ;D
I really appreciate all the responses :bow:
I amuse me.

Weaver

I think the offical "technical" explanation for the intakes is that they're free hydrogen collectors to extend range, but it sounds more like a retconned excuse than an original intention to me. I suspect coolness is the real reason. :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

I'm sure your right Weav ;D Besides it's got 3 big scoops on the engines. Whats the one on the nose for :blink: I put retro rockets in mine. :wacko:
I amuse me.

Weaver

Quote from: sotoolslinger on June 27, 2010, 01:48:44 PM
I'm sure your right Weav ;D Besides it's got 3 big scoops on the engines. Whats the one on the nose for :blink: I put retro rockets in mine. :wacko:

I had a feeling that you were right about that, but the only info I can find credits it as a sensor array....

On the original Monogram model, it had an elastic-band-powered rocket launcher in it!  ;D

- Indiana Jones