Coastal Command Halifax with a punch.....

Started by James, June 19, 2010, 10:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

I'm in the process of modifying a HP Halifax. I'm planning on doing it as a Coastal Command GR.II, but with a difference.... it's having a nose job.

Yep, the nose off a B-25H, - thats 4x .50cals and the 75mm.  :wacko:

The fit looks quite good (only a bit of work needed). What do you guys think? It's not too daft is it?  :blink:

Mossie

Daft is allowed, but that seems like a reasonable armament to me for anti U-Boat ops.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Cliffy B

The 75mm was found to not be too useful on the B-25s given their size.  Might fair better on the Halifax though.  Anyone ever given any thought to packing the nose with a pair of 40mm Bofors?  They make them aftermarket for PT-Boats in large scales.  Just a thought.
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Army of One

I think the twin 40mm would be cool......why not the old Airfix bofors....is it cheaper than after market one?? You going for cheek blister pod .50's or launcher for 4x60lb rockets? I think the Coastal Command libs had some rocket mounts.....I'm sure I'm not talking rubbish......I should have looked first before posting....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Captain Canada

I think it's an awesome idea ! Large a/c in Coastal Command have always intrigued me....how do you plan on painting her ?

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

GTX

Great idea - in fact you could probably to twin 75mm mounts!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

The hell with it, stick a 25 pdr in there!  -_- ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I like it  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It goes along with the idea I have of a Coastal Command Hampden with four MG's in the nose and two 40mm's in the bomb bay, sort of Mosquito style.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

James

Quote from: Army of One on June 19, 2010, 12:51:31 PM
.....You going for cheek blister pod .50's or launcher for 4x60lb rockets? I think the Coastal Command libs had some rocket mounts.....

I was thinking of 8x 60lb rockets. I suppose you could have depth charges or torpedoes in the bay, and some early sonar buoys in the wing bomb cells.

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 19, 2010, 01:03:17 PM
I think it's an awesome idea ! Large a/c in Coastal Command have always intrigued me....how do you plan on painting her ?

:wub:

Not sure yet. Any suggestions would be good. Maybe Mediterranean/Middle East theatre? SEAC?

Mossie

I've seen a colour callout on Don Color for a scheme on Beauforts & Beaufighters of Dark Mediterranean Blue/Light Mediterranean Blue over Azure or Light Mediterranean Blue.  I've never seen any other mention of this scheme.  Would look very different.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: James on June 19, 2010, 04:00:00 PM
[I was thinking of 8x 60lb rockets. I suppose you could have depth charges or torpedoes in the bay, and some early sonar buoys in the wing bomb cells.

SEAC?

Sounds good and any mention of SEAC makes me go all  :blink: :wub: Only problem is would it have anyone to "play" with

Quote from: Mossie on June 19, 2010, 05:22:32 PM
I've seen a colour callout on Don Color for a scheme on Beauforts & Beaufighters of Dark Mediterranean Blue/Light Mediterranean Blue over Azure or Light Mediterranean Blue.  I've never seen any other mention of this scheme.  Would look very different.

I've seen something similar mentioned but I think it was on RAF (Greek) Marylands ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

GTX

Quote from: James on June 19, 2010, 04:00:00 PM

I was thinking of 8x 60lb rockets. I suppose you could have depth charges or torpedoes in the bay, and some early sonar buoys in the wing bomb cells.

Add in the rockets like the RAF Liberators used:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

dogsbody

Why not a couple of 6pdrs. in the nose.
If a Mosquito could take a single, a Halifax could surely carry two.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

James

I'm struggling to think of a place to mount the 60lb rockets, so I may scrap that idea.  I was thinking of putting 4x 20mm Hispano Mk. II cannon under the nose (from a Canberra), and as stated, the proximity of the wing and engines to the nose is a problem. Must have had a few too many when I came up with this idea...  :drink:

But, it is armed with:

1x 75mm cannon,
4x 20mm cannon,
4x .50cals,
8x .303cals (Dorsal and tail turrets)

As well as the toys in the bay.

Should be enough to ruin the day of any enemy sailor/submariner....  :wacko:

Army of One

Ha! GTX Greg to the rescue.....thats what I meant....4 rockets each side or blister pack .50's........I say ROCKETS.....that would look cool..... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!