Started by GTX, June 20, 2010, 11:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Quote from: Overkiller on June 22, 2010, 02:28:59 PM

..hmmmm I may just get the plans scaled to 1/72 and do some "research"  :wacko:

:cheers:

Duncan

Comrade,

We a pleased you have given up your subversive ways and have come to the correct way of thinking...those re-education classes must work, Da?!

Regards,

Comrade Gregorski (Commissar of all F-111 GB things)

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

coops213

I thought these might be of some use for this GB.

F-111:

F-111B:

FB-111H:

Chris

ChernayaAkula

Here's my idea:

Profile may not be a C, but it's supposed to be one. The tail art is from 120 "The International" Sqn. Thought the name and the globe in the design went well with the Strategic Reach idea. In the end, I might use a different squadron (maybe even invent a new squadron). Kit will be the Italeri F-111A suitably modified (unless I can find a Hasegawa one). No idea regarding armament yet, but I got a couple of ideas for backstories.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

GTX

:thumbsup:

Regards,

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

GTX

Some more inspiration comrades:

Mark's (aka BadersBusCompany) latest MFG1 F111-E:

Regards,

Maverick

Quote from: GTX on June 21, 2010, 10:11:43 PM
QuoteDoes it need jammer pods or is all of its ECM equipment carried internally?

As far as I'm aware, it carries everything internally - I may be wrong here though.

Regards,

G'day Greg,

The treble one can carry external ECM pods as in this pic.

Regards,

Mav

GTX

Ah yes comrade, the F-111 does, but we were specifically talking about the EF-111A which I don't recall ever seeing carrying external jamming pods:

Regards,

grayman

Quote from: GTX on June 26, 2010, 01:56:56 PM
Some more inspiration comrades:

Mark's (aka BadersBusCompany) latest MFG1 F111-E:

Regards,

Oh dear...awfully close to the path I think I'll take. Muchly appreciated... :mellow:
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open -- General Sir Michael Dewar.

Shasper

Just some food for thought here, I dug up pics of the last Pig I built:

It's a old ARII 144th kit that received some modded Backfire wings, I added a few other bits to make it a R/F-111G, based on the aircraft from the Dale Brown book Chains of Command.

Seen here fitted with either Have Nap or its smaller sibling (either Popeye or Spice, I can't keep up with Israeli weapons!) underwing and a datalink pod fitted on the aft centerline.
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

GTX

Actually I was going to suggest someone do a F-111 (I think they were forms of RF-111s IIRC) in Ukrainian markings from the Chains of Command novel.

Regards,

Edit.  That's a challenge for profilers, modellers and writers alike!

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

Jeffry Fontaine

Here is a link to a rather large concept image (3000 X 1734 Pixel) showing the FB-111H in flight http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Artist_Concept_of_F-111_1980.JPEG
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Cliffy B

While doing some research for my entry a thought occurred to me (yeah I know thinking is dangerous  ;D), how did the "Aardvark" get its name?  I thought it was possibly its nickname ala the A-10 "Warthog" but nope.  Anyone know the story behind it?  Did someone look at one of the prototypes and go "Hey that looks like an aardvark" and the name stuck or what?  

I'm trying to figure out a good name for my USN entry and "Sea Vark" just isn't good enough; sounds too British.  I'm operating under the idea that Grumman produced a strike version for the USN.  I was thinking of cat names but those were all fighters and Grumman's only attack bird was the Intruder.  I can't seem to think of any yet, any ideas gents?
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

GTX

Re the name: Legend tells that the first to call it Aardvark was instructor pilot Al Mateczun at Nellis Air Force Base in the late sixities. Pictures of the F-111 and its characteristic nose is a dead give-away with regards to that name. Aardvark is apparently Afrikaans for Earth Pig  (speaking of which - how about someone doing a South African F-111 :rolleyes:).

The nose also led to 474th TFW at Nellis naming it Roadrunner when the type first appeared on the flightline.

Other nicknames:

* Laotian troops called it Whispering Death
    * RAAF officially proposed Arkana, Galawindi and Taipan as nicknames, but nothing came out of it
    * The unofficial RAAF nickname is Pig
    * SAC used the name Switchblade for a while
    * The electronic warfare variant EF-111A was nicknamed Sparkvark because of the amount of electronics on board
    * Last but not least, there's the short version 'Vark

At the official retirement ceremony at Lockheed Martin's Tactical Aircraft Systems plant in Forth Worth, Texas in 1996, the name Aardvark was finally made official.

Regards,