Main Menu

Inspiration thread

Started by GTX, June 20, 2010, 11:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Due to the requests of comrades (who said we don't listen???):

There's plenty of ideas available here and here as well as here.

Regards,

Comrade Gregorski (Commissar of all F-111 GB things)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Shasper

Thanks for the "inspiration" Greg, I've got 2 RAAF Pigs that'll be built for sure (Another G model and a SparkVark), both of which come from my own little meddling with the geo-political stuff over there, involving an Islamic extremist takeover of Indonesia in the aftermath of the Tsunami from '04, with some invading and liberating occurring shortly thereafter. This'll be my first serious attempt at working with some resin bits as I've got a nice EF set & long wings in 144th from Hawkeye Models, now to find some 144th HARMs!

Shifting gears, there are quite a few of the original Revell 72nd kits in my treasure chest, and this GB stirred the old thinking pot back around to building some B model based Sea Varks. While the Pig didn't cut it as a naval fighter/interceptor, who's to say that, with a nav/attack system modified from the Intruder, it would've made a great striker? My line of thought kinda follows the USN F-4 evolution, starting out with the few stock Bravo model that were produced being being optimized for air to ground (but still keeping their air to air role, for now), followed by the Juliette, the first intended naval strike bird. Later on down the line some of the Bs are brought up to a generic J standard as November models (with the rest modified as EF-111Bs), and the J birds being further enhanced into Sierras. Dunno if I'll make it into my Sea Vark ideas during this build, but it does give something to think about ;)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Cliffy B

Quote from: Shasper on June 21, 2010, 05:25:26 PM
now to find some 144th HARMs!

Check some DML 1/144 F/A-18E/F kits.  There's a plethora of armament options in those.  Off the top of my head they have, HARMs, Harpoons, Paveway series LGBs (500 and 2000lbs), AMRAAMs, Sidewinders (M and X models), LANTIRN pods, and some more.  The kits can be had from between $9-15 and you get two planes in each box with enough ordnance for 4-6.

BTW, I love your Sea Vark ideas!  Hope to see some HMAS Melbourne aircraft in their sig gray disruptive scheme, or do you have something even cooler up your sleeve?  :wacko:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Shasper

Cliffy, Thanks for the info on where to find the HARMs . . . Hopefully when the time comes I can come across some :)
As for my Sea Varks idea, *when I do build 'em I was going with USN livery, but I might tweak it a lil bit (NFWS/NSAWC bird in Fencer garb does sound rather delicious ;) )

(* Ain't no telling when that'll be!)
- Bud S.

Cliffy B

Hey guys I found this page about Aussie Pigs with some neat whiff content including a proposed interceptor and ECM version for the Aussies.  There's also some whiffed Aussie F/A-22s on it  :wacko:

http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-F-111-Supercruise-2001.html

Shasper, I'm going to follow you a bit with the Sea Vark idea but give a Spark Vark its sea legs instead.  Probably USN livery as well unless I can find something neater.  I'll be going the 1/144 route as well with this one, should start on it in a few weeks.  I'll whiff up some profiles in the meantime for that section of the GB.

Question about the Spark Vark gents.  Does it need jammer pods or is all of its ECM equipment carried internally?  Wondering what to do with the pylons and how many HARMs and other ordnance I can hang on them :D
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

GTX

Quote from: Cliffy B on June 21, 2010, 08:29:29 PM
Hey guys I found this page about Aussie Pigs with some neat whiff content including a proposed interceptor and ECM version for the Aussies.  There's also some whiffed Aussie F/A-22s on it  :wacko:

http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-F-111-Supercruise-2001.html

So long as one takes those ideas with a fistful of salt - CK isn't actually known for practical suggestions. ;D

Regards,

GTX

Quote from: Shasper on June 21, 2010, 05:25:26 PM
Thanks for the "inspiration" Greg, I've got 2 RAAF Pigs that'll be built for sure (Another G model and a SparkVark), both of which come from my own little meddling with the geo-political stuff over there, involving an Islamic extremist takeover of Indonesia in the aftermath of the Tsunami from '04, with some invading and liberating occurring shortly thereafter. This'll be my first serious attempt at working with some resin bits as I've got a nice EF set & long wings in 144th from Hawkeye Models, now to find some 144th HARMs!

Shifting gears, there are quite a few of the original Revell 72nd kits in my treasure chest, and this GB stirred the old thinking pot back around to building some B model based Sea Varks. While the Pig didn't cut it as a naval fighter/interceptor, who's to say that, with a nav/attack system modified from the Intruder, it would've made a great striker? My line of thought kinda follows the USN F-4 evolution, starting out with the few stock Bravo model that were produced being being optimized for air to ground (but still keeping their air to air role, for now), followed by the Juliette, the first intended naval strike bird. Later on down the line some of the Bs are brought up to a generic J standard as November models (with the rest modified as EF-111Bs), and the J birds being further enhanced into Sierras. Dunno if I'll make it into my Sea Vark ideas during this build, but it does give something to think about ;)

Sounds like the Greater Australia story pics could definitely be inspirational...

Regards,

GTX

QuoteDoes it need jammer pods or is all of its ECM equipment carried internally?

As far as I'm aware, it carries everything internally - I may be wrong here though.

Regards,

Maverick

USAF F-111s also carried ALQ series ECM pods on the rear pylon where the datalink pod for the GBU-15s went.  I've seen a few photos of the setup, I'll try & dig around for them once I get back to Aus.

Regards,

Mav

Shasper

Concerning the Spark Vark, iirc it retained all of its underwing pylons so, in theory, you could load it with up to 8 goodies . . . but only the 4 pylons closest to the fuselage swivel, so anything on the outer 4 pylons would have to be used quick to reduce the drag.
- Bud S.

GTX

Quote from: Shasper on June 22, 2010, 07:15:02 AM
Concerning the Spark Vark, iirc it retained all of its underwing pylons so, in theory, you could load it with up to 8 goodies . . . but only the 4 pylons closest to the fuselage swivel, so anything on the outer 4 pylons would have to be used quick to reduce the drag.

Just remember that although the EF-111A doesn't typically carry wing stores, it is carrying a fair bit of extra weight in electronics.

Regards,

GTX

More inspiration:

F-111 ASR Idea

One could also do an Anti-Submarine Striker - MAD boom out rear (maybe), torpedoes in weapons bay, sonobouys in pods underwing.  This would be similar to the Russian Su-32FN concept from a few years back.  Not so much a loitering searcher but more of a rapid response platform.

Regards,

Shasper

Dunno if it's been mentioned before, but why not a USAF Vark "Missileer"?
- Bud S.

GTX

Quote from: Shasper on June 22, 2010, 02:09:43 PM
Dunno if it's been mentioned before, but why not a USAF Vark "Missileer"?

Sounds good comrade - ANG markings maybe as well?

Regards,

GTX

Personally, I would love to see someone ballsy enough to tackle a FB-111H!

Regards,