The Wobbly Goblin works: Oz EF-111 for sure!

Started by Shasper, June 25, 2010, 04:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasper

Hey Guys,

Ever since the idea for this GB came up I've been digging thru the ol' idea bank to see what I might could build. The FB-111H and any of the other stretched FBs are out (my skillz just aint there yet), but I remembered the few original Revell 72nd kits I had hidden away to do as Sea Varks. The idea thats been kickin' around my head is that, while the Vark didn't cut it as a missile toting bomber/cruise missile killing bird, it was re-rolled as a striker to replace the A-6s. While not changing anything externally . . . yet, on the inside the B got fitted with the TFR, DIANE & associated gear from the Intruder, and cleared for all the AG munitions along with a recce fit for the bomb bay. The revamped B would start joining the fleet around the late '60s/early '70s, with a good bit of use at the tail end of 'Nam. A newer model, the J, would come into service into the later '70s having the escape pod replaced with Bang seats and a redesigned main landing gear among the other changes made. Later on in the early '80s the remaining B models who weren't converted to EW aircraft were fitted with some of the J's electronics, with the Js themselves getting upgraded around the mid/late '80s with new systems & GE F110 engines. Phaseout of the earlier model aircraft would start in the drawdown after Desert Storm, with the last S models leaving the decks in the early 2000s.

I kinda took the development of the A-6s & naval F-4s and smashed them together. Not sure if I'll even build any of these naval Varks yet, but I keep looking the box sitting in my chest of goodies  :rolleyes:

Now one that I'll be doing for sure is a 144th EF-111A(G), got a conversion set from Hawkeye Models for this . . . Plans are for a Harm shooting EW/SEAD bird from a conflict that started in '06 with the overthrow of the Indonesia gov. by Islamic radicals. Australia takes the lead on this one (the US being tied up with the Stan, Iraq and the situation in North Korea), with a multi-national coalition made up mostly by the ASEAN nations (some of whom have already been exiled) with some support from the usual suspects.

Also got a set of 144th long wings from Hawkeye, so if I can track down another small 111 I'll do a G striker to go with the Sparky.
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Shasper

Ok fellers, this one is for sure:

She'll be finished in a 2-tone gray scheme based on a Carlo profile:

With a pair of HARMs slung underneath. Haven't decided if I'm going to add a HTS pod or if that gear will be internal yet.
- Bud S.

GTX

Well, at least CK is good for something!

:thumbsup:

Regards,

Comrade Gregorski (Commissar of all F-111 GB things)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Shasper

Lol yeah he is for that and whiffery ideas!

Sparky will be finished in that pattern, but the usual gray colors from the US EFs ;)
- Bud S.

buzzbomb

Nice choice

Looks like the Anti Radar 'Varks are becoming a favourite

Shasper

Ok guys, I have to admit that I completely forgot about this GB until today. . . RW can be really distracting sometimes :P
Anyway, I'd be grateful if the GB commissar would move this topic to the Aircraft section of the In-Progress forum.

Good Luck fella's, I do like what I'm seeing!
- Bud S.