Aircraft Naming Conventions

Started by tigercat, June 27, 2010, 03:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

According to BSP Fighters, the Hunter was originally to be called the Demon (chosen via a newspaper competition), but the McDonnell F3H had just been given that name by the US Navy, so Hunter was chosen instead. Demon of course was a "classic" Hawker name, recycled from the 1930s biplane fighter.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

raafif

Well, I for one want to see some Interesting names for a start !!

Obviously the manufacturers wanted easy memory of their products, so rhymes like Hawker Hart, Hunter etc -- but one to inspire patriotism, confidence or fear to the enemy is better from the Air Force & Air Min. slant.
It all started in WW1 when Sopwith wanted to name their new fighter the Snit -- no ... no ... too much possibility of typing errors there ... and sensibly called it the Snipe  ;D

The Vickers Kangaroo LOOKED like a Kangaroo, so once a name was put it started a string of associated names ie mammals, famous Generals etc.  Names had to be somewhat appropiate ie Bombers named after cities that had been bombed by the Luftwaffe, to take the fight back to their cities & Fighters had stirring names of action -- Typhoon, Spitfire.

Names have to be in the current vernacular too, ie "Vimy" for the Valiant, wasn't a "current" name in the language of the 1950's public & re-using a name tends to lessen the impact of the original somewhat.

Vickers Valupe -- imagine what they would say about the pilots -- "the poor galoot, he drives a Valoop". That name would inspire me to the same extent of "daring do" as a Vickers Vacillitator !!

But perhaps a Fairey Facilitator could be a naval spotter for fall-of-shot, another of their floatplanes ??
Lower Decks mess -- so you're in the RNAS, Sir ? -- err, yes, that's right -- what sort of aircraft do you fly, Sir ? -- a Fairey Facilitator, sailor -- a Fairey Facilitator, Sir ?? , How do you Officers facilitate a Fairy then, sir ?? ...

CAC Wobbygong (a fairly docile shallow-water shark) -- would it be a twin-engine trainer ?
Or the Hawker Hurrumpf -- a "quick-build" wooden CAM fighter using up obsolete Hurricane parts ?

The only really great name to mind is Reid & Sigrest's "SnarGnasher" -- now there's a name to put the wind up the enemy !!
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

dragon

Quote from: puddingwrestler on June 28, 2010, 01:02:41 AM
Quite possibly - I might be thinking of one of the other CAC machines.
I just remembered the other great CAC/GAF (Government Aircraft Factory) name - the piloted prototype of the Jindvik unmanned target drone was called the Pika, making it the only plane in history named after the vocalizations of a pokemon.

Note the resemblance.
(Actually, the Pika is named after a small animal I think, but I prefer this version)
It could be worse.  One of these days, ask Sr. Carton (Rafael) what PIKACHU brings to mind in local Venezuelan politics.  Let's just say it isn't PG Rated.  Come to think of it, don't ask after lunch.
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Cobra

I've wondered about some Names my self. however,some of the Stuff here has caused me to LMAO ;D Stay Cool Guys!Dan

PR19_Kit

Quote from: tigercat on June 28, 2010, 04:40:04 AM
...so there's room for a WHIF HAdrian or Hannibal ( a glider big enough to carry an elephant over the alps maybe )

There was an RW Hadrian, that was the name they used for the Waco CG-4A, the US glider with the lift-up nose.

But I like the Hannibal idea, a Beverley without engines perhaps?  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit