Praticallity be darned

Started by Fulcrum, June 30, 2010, 10:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Quote from: dy031101 on July 02, 2010, 11:17:45 AM

Quote from: Cobra on July 02, 2010, 10:56:18 AM
How About a Box Missile Launcher mounted on the Tail of Either a B-52 or an Avro Vulcan Bomber? don't know if it's even been Considered but thought i'd ask. :cheers: :cheers:Dan

There, IIRC, used to be talks on fitting Stinger missiles as a tail armament of a B-52......

Wasn't that part of Dale Brown's EB-52 Megafortress?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

dy031101

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 02, 2010, 12:21:38 PM
Then you'd be dealing with "old-style" (ladder and tube frame) sports car designs as most went to uni-body designs some time ago. ;)

Doh!  :banghead:

What about sedans and their coupe derivatives?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on July 02, 2010, 06:20:03 AM
Early Lotus Esprits & Lamborghini Countachs might suit that, all angles, possibly the Delorean as well.  Lenny did a Lancia Stratos as a fast strike vehicle a little while back.
Quote from: Weaver on July 02, 2010, 06:31:37 AM
Years ago I did a Car Wars car with the body of a Lamborghini Countach and the Vulcan cannon from the 1/32nd Revell Starfighter on the side.... :wacko:

I'm thinking a lighter version of how truck chassis got turned into armoured cars, which may or may not retain the factory body.  :wacko:

Maybe for internal security use.

So that would be a "sporty" Beaverette then?  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Beaverette
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: dy031101 on July 02, 2010, 04:28:44 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 02, 2010, 12:21:38 PM
Then you'd be dealing with "old-style" (ladder and tube frame) sports car designs as most went to uni-body designs some time ago. ;)

Doh!  :banghead:

What about sedans and their coupe derivatives?

Same situation, and unibody construction has actually been used even longer on sedans and coupes,
starting in the 1930s with Citroen and Lancia.

dy031101

What say we think up another two-gun tank design?  Okay maybe not a modern-modern type to fit into late- to post-Cold War era but a late-WWII type serviceable enough to last into the Cold War era?

Take a gun that was powerful against tanks but fired a rather useless HE round (for example, KwK 42) and put it in the turret; take a reasonably-compact infantry gun/howitzer that has a much more useful HE capacity and put it in the hull.  Try not to make it too heavy though- in fact, I wonder if keeping its weight within the top range of a medium tank would be possible......

Might be difficult for me, I keep on thinking of something asthetically based on the Panzer III (with gun arrangement similar to that of Churchill Mk.I)......  :banghead:

====================

To-do list here

rickshaw

I've occasionally toyed with the idea of an M3 Medium Grant/Lee tank with two sponson guns.  Would make things rather interesting on the North African battlefields.  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

How about a tank-destroyer with an AT gun in the hull and a turret with an MG and a high-angle, low velocity gun (like those 37mm guns in French light tanks) to keep infantry teams away? It could even have a 37mm pom-pom  :wacko:, but that weapon's got a significant inboard length..... Alternately, the turret gun could be a small breech-loading mortar in the 51-60mm range.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

dy031101

Keeping a record of an idea here and maybe hoping for some critique:

• turret inspired by either Panzer III or Strv 74
  • hull inspired by Excelsior infantry tank
  • KwK 42 gun and co-axial MG in turret, infantry howitzer of maybe 75mm calibre in hull

====================

To-do list here

anthonyp

Quote from: GTX on July 02, 2010, 01:25:12 PM

How About a Box Missile Launcher mounted on the Tail of Either a B-52 or an Avro Vulcan Bomber? don't know if it's even been Considered but thought i'd ask. :cheers: :cheers:Dan

There, IIRC, used to be talks on fitting Stinger missiles as a tail armament of a B-52......

Regards,

Greg

Nah, that 'shroom experience of a book had the Old Dog flying around with AIM-120 "Scorpians"
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Caveman

practicality be darned?

ok

a big gun monitor built on a hovercraft?

Quick to intercept any approaching threat... recoil can be a bit of an issue...
secretprojects forum migrant

NARSES2

Quote from: Caveman on July 26, 2010, 12:18:45 AM
practicality be darned?

ok

a big gun monitor built on a hovercraft?

Quick to intercept any approaching threat... recoil can be a bit of an issue...

The ultimate "shoot and skoot"  ;D ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

Submersible Aircraft Carrier

James

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 02, 2010, 11:58:29 AM
Grumman Design 143 Bushfire rear-defense missile system intended for the Martin P6M-2 Seamaster.

Good stuff. Had no idea about that proposal.

dy031101

Quote from: anthonyp on July 25, 2010, 06:25:50 PM
Quote from: GTX on July 02, 2010, 01:25:12 PM

Regards,

Greg

Nah, that 'shroom experience of a book had the Old Dog flying around with AIM-120 "Scorpians"

I thought the Old Dog was initially using unguided shotgun-like flak rocket launcher for a tail gun.  ;D

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

What if the SMK and the T-100 were put into production for Heavy Tank Brigades solely responsible for parade and defense of Soviet seat of power?  How would they have been modified/improved to remain competitive armament-wise?

And for a slightly less-crazy scenario, what if Finland captured more T-28s and figured they can make those tanks combat-worthy better than the Soviets ever could?

====================

To-do list here