A F-111 as Very Light Fighter ?!?!: YF-115

Started by ysi_maniac, July 04, 2010, 06:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I know what you mean, a slight trim wouldn't do any harm.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ysi_maniac

I am considering to add guns to such small plane. I see 2 possibilities:
First, one  16, 17 or 18 mm gattling gun. Would it be practical? :rolleyes:
Second, two 20 mm conventional or chain guns. What do you think?
Will die without understanding this world.

GTX

You could go with a 12.7mm minigun or perhaps something like the 20mm colt from the F-5.  The latter would pack more power, though it is up to you.

Regards,

Comrade Gregorski (Commissar of all F-111 GB things)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Slerski

Quote from: ysi_maniac on September 02, 2010, 09:57:00 AM
First, one  16, 17 or 18 mm gattling gun. Would it be practical? :rolleyes:

Maybe... Gatling gun, using 14,5x115 mm rounds, common but russian type caliber. Maybe you could imagine a western equivalent (using maybe the 15.2mm Steyr ammo).

GAU-12 25 mm cannon (the Equalizer, used in AV-8) maybe too large, but have a sigificant firepower. Or GAU-19 .50 Gatling, but it have only 3 barrel xD

Quote from: ysi_maniac on September 02, 2010, 09:57:00 AM
Second, two 20 mm conventional or chain guns. What do you think?

Heu... Don't know, maybe 2 MG131 :ph34r: (Ah ? It's not a Messerschmitt ? Ooops...)
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

ysi_maniac

After thinking longer (the life of a whiffer is hard :banghead: ) I have decided not to implement guns because of the size of airframe.
Guns can be added in a conformal belly pack, if needed ;D

Now see the comparison with F-5. This project falls definitely in F-5 family, somewhere between F-5 and YF-17 (beautiful designs IMO).
See here too: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,448.0/

Deino

Hey ... I knew I've seen that idea somewhere before ....

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4124.0

Here's the real-mini-F-111-fighter !!!!!  :wub:

Cheers, Deino
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-
W.H.Auden (1945

ysi_maniac

Hi Andreas,
I did know those pics and I must confess that the short F-111 is in my wish list but my inspiration came from this:

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Weaver

Gun-wise, how about a Western equivalent of the GSh-23 twin-barrelled revolver gun, which is very neat and compact. You could have a GE-225 (developed but not put into service), or the older twin-barrelled 20mm weapon (I forget the name) used in a gun-pod by the US Navy. You could mount either of these guns in the Russian style, with the space-inefficient gun in an external fairing and the space-efficient ammo in the fuselage.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ysi_maniac

IMO this model features a mix o characteristics from General Dynamics and Northrop: the LWF program contenders. So ... here you have VLWF YF-115 prototype in one of her first flights.

ysi_maniac

Ed S

Nicely done.  Great idea.  I might have to do a scalarama F-111 some day.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Mossie

Very good finish Carlos!  Like the Aggressor style scheme. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

Looks great, but would you want a fighter that big? (Mig-25/33 size)

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Mossie on October 08, 2010, 02:05:12 AM
Very good finish Carlos!  Like the Aggressor style scheme. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The scheme was taken from 2nd YF-16 prototype :smiley: