Rafale K * * F I N I S H E D * *

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, July 09, 2010, 10:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

Glad the repaint paid off!! It looks great  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quick update: The aforementioned fin-tip and ECM/ESM buttons all painted, just need a second coat on the radome, then decals - and that is going to take an age !!

Ahhh well, onward, ever onward  :blink:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Well the decals are done and I'm trying to garner the courage to put an oil wash onto the thing, just to lowlight the panel lines. The wash is the only weathering it will get, as in my back-story the Rafales' were still very new at the time of the mission. Easier to do is to start putting the loadout onto the pylons ready for matting down, so I might make a start on that here in work on Friday and Saturday night.

If anybody wants to see pics of the Rafale in its' current state (decals no weathering) just let me know, otherwise I'll hold-off until the oil wash has been done.

Nearly finished  :rolleyes:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Mossie

Normally I'd agree with the honourable gentleman of the Lone Star state, but I'd say you might as well hold, keep the surprise for the finale! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

So from left to right we have 2 x AIM-9X (Revell), 3 x AGM-123 (Hasegawa)

....and then 1 x AN/AAQ 31 'Sniper' pod (resin), 2 x 1200l drop tanks (kit) and 2 x AIM-120C (Hasegawa)

As ever thanks for looking. Next pics will be the completed project. AFN.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

Superlative work as ever Ian..... bloody smart arse!!! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

ChernayaAkula

The multi-colour Skippers are a neat idea! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Well managed to get the final overall matt on yesterday - Not a great result it has to be said. Because it was so d*mn cold, my trusty and well used Humbrol Matt-Cote dried a little powdery (I've encountered this before but usually to such an extent that I've had to rip-pff the paint and start again), however this time the resultant finish looked like all it it needed a good going-over with the Mr. Sheen (furniture spray polish)  :blink:. Good Job I didn't over react because when I looked at it again last night I decided to try and correct the finish with a coat of Johnsons Kleer....

....It worked.  :drink: - Doesn't look as good as I'd hoped and still feels a little rough to the touch, but I can live with it, and hopefully it wont look too 'dusty' in the pics.

Had a two-and-a-half hour session after dinner last night which was enough to repaint the tyres and wheels, do the (numerous) landing, nav and anti-collision lights and glue the loadout on. Aslo got to paint the exhaust cans (very) dark grey then dry-brush the insides to show that white burnt effect. Tonight I'll get the lights and wheels onto the model and carefully paint the metallic 'petals' of the exhausts. Should be all finished by Friday night.

One thing that really caught-me-out was the weight !! - It is sssoooooo much heavier with the weaps & drop tanks, good job RoG made such a strong undercarriage !!

AFN

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

More pics in the finished builds thread.

Thanks for all the comments and support for both this and the SMB2 build from a few weeks back. As ever very much appreciated, everyone.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)