BAE Systems Taranis

Started by Thorvic, July 12, 2010, 10:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on July 16, 2010, 09:02:38 PM
Were the firebees completely autonomous or remote controlled?

Remote controlled.  However, not quite in the way I suspect you're thinking of it.  It was done on the basis of a radar plot, not visual control (ie there were no tv cameras in the drone).  The control plotting table was basically an electro-mechanical system which had two wires representing X and Y co-ordinates supplied electronically from a radar.  Where they crossed was where the drone was.  The controller would watch the table and move his controls to instruct the drone to fly in a particular manner.  He had a height provided by the radar as well (so he didn't fly it into the ground).   Remember, this was basically 1950s technology (when the Firebee had first been introduced) updated through experience in the 1960s and 1970s.

The USN pilots who flew against the drones found it most annoying that it could pull significantly more Gs than they could. ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

KJ_Lesnick

Rickshaw,

Thank you

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

KJ_Lesnick

This Taranis will be more autonomous than most previous drones, correct?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.