Tank Girl ! (comic book version)

Started by cthulhu77, July 12, 2010, 05:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

How are the tracks made? Rubber or plastic? If they were rubber, you could always link extra ones together (if you had 'em). Don't know about the later tank, but the old one looked like it had idlers and roadwheels the same size and about twice as many as a real tank, with consequent great height.

You've now got me wondering what I could do with a Merkava and a Fujimi Type-61 turret..... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

cthulhu77

Well, I was kind of kicking around the idea of doing this as a W/P scale-0-rama as well...so if you went with the original TG tank, we could do a great photo combine battle !!!!    :tank:

philp

Hey Greg, what scale will this be? 

Ground Zero Games has a 25mm figure for a pound that might work (no pic on their site)
CM-07 - Available: 992

Punk tank chic with big gun
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

sotoolslinger

Well that is coming along just effin fine :wub: I need to give you more stuff ;D :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Sorry to hi-jack, but since you're a fan, I've just realised what Tank Girl's original tank most reminds me of:

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: cthulhu77 on July 17, 2010, 06:14:32 AM
Well, I am still bummed that the original artist went over to doing Gorillaz videos, but I can't put much blame there...that was a lot of cash!  The later versions were just online, but it did make sense that the 'little tank that could' would be upgraded. I am still trying to figure out just how to lift the suspension at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyHNuVaZJ-k

Still havn't seen the new version, but I've just bought a Tank Girl book (always read other people's back in the day) and looking at the tank pics (of which there are surprisingly few), I think I see how the TG tank gets to be so high.

On a normal tank, the tracks are on the side of the hull. On TG's tank, they're on the bottom. You know how, on the average tank kit, the lower hull "box" sits inside the top plate, so that the track guards overhang it? Well to TG it, you could fit the track guards to the upper hull, and then plate straight across them to create new "floor". Then fit the lower hull box onto that plate.

- Indiana Jones

cthulhu77

Weaver

Cheers!  ;D

Sized up some contenders last night:

LVT  is still in the running (surprisingly big) for some of the later versions of the early TG tank, and the only 1/76th option is the Airfix one which is open-topped, thus allowing you to set turret positions etc to suite. It needs wider, open-sided tracks with bigger wheels: I reckon Leo I/II ones look most like the comic ones and surprisingly, a Leo 1's tracks are no shorter than the Buffalo's. The point of the bow needs pruning, but that's easy.

Merkava has the right profile, but the engine deck's very asymetrical, which is a problem because the early TG tank has a pretty consistent whacking great hatch at the front. By the time you'd fixed the Merk you might as well have scratched it..... :banghead:

Another good contender is the Strv-103 "S" tank. It's got the right profile (nice compronise between the more "tanky" Merk and the more "triangular" LVT), and flat deks that are easy to mod. Only trouble is, it's DAMN small in 1/72nd. Feels like a 1/48th one would scaleorama fine, if such a thing existed. On the other hand, a 1/35th one might scaleorama to 28mm heroic figures but that's getting expensive.

I still like my Type-61 turret: it needs jacking up a bit to make it more undercut, but that's no biggy, and unlike an M-47, it's got a wide, rectangular mantlet which is right for the TG tank, which has a wierd round mantlet-in-square-hole setup. Only problem is that it has a big off-centre hatch whereas Tanky's has an even bigger one right in the middle.

- Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Weaver on July 27, 2010, 01:06:04 AM<...> Another good contender is the Strv-103 "S" tank. It's got the right profile (nice compronise between the more "tanky" Merk and the more "triangular" LVT), and flat deks that are easy to mod. Only trouble is, it's DAMN small in 1/72nd. Feels like a 1/48th one would scaleorama fine, if such a thing existed. On the other hand, a 1/35th one might scaleorama to 28mm heroic figures but that's getting expensive. <...>

I'm pretty sure Academy does or did a 1/48 S-Tank. :thumbsup: One of them motorised jobs. And the 1/35 Trumpeter S-Tank is back from the days when Trumpeter tanks were not expensive.  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Yes, you're right - I saw one at £25 which put me off, but I've now seen them at £14 which is much more reasonable.

Other ideas: 1/35th Scorpion/Scimitar or 1/48th Sherman going backwards.....

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Suspect I've found the answer: 1/48th Marder MICV plus 1/72nd King Tiger turret with bulges on the side. The Marder is a Zhengfu one, with a picture on the box that looks like a straight rip-off of the old Tamiya artwork, so the kit's probably a scaled rip-off too. Still dirt cheap, so perfect for whiffery.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Okay, I'm going to stop hi-jacking your thread now Cthulhu77, I've started a general discussion thread here:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,29251.msg444231.html#msg444231

- Indiana Jones