F8F Bearcat

Started by Radish, July 16, 2010, 12:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

That turtledeck version is gorgeous  :wub:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

RotorheadTX

Enter the Shacklecat......  :wacko:

Just getting started....in my hotel room....sorry for the naff photo (crappy phone-cam).

kitnut617

Quote from: Doc Yo on July 16, 2010, 11:26:01 AM
Give it a spinner. Bare propellers on anything that does more than 200 mph are an offense against the
Creator.

Quote from: Radish on July 17, 2010, 02:03:06 AM
Spinners certainly look more aesthetic...certainly something to consider.....especially when tipped with flight or squadron colours.

I did this quite a few years ago, nothing really whiff about it except the Tempest Mk.II spinner I put on it.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

That spinner improves the Bearcat out of all recognition.  :thumbsup:

I wonder why Grumman didn't try it? Perhaps it would have blocked off the cooling air?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I've read somewhere that Grumman did test a spinner on the Bearcat, but the results were (at least officially) that it didn't improve the overall speed by very much (mind you, I could have read that about the Tigercat  :banghead: ).  I don't quite follow that because the Bearcat 'Rare Bear' which was fitted with a Sea Fury type spinner, had the absolute speed record for a piston powered aircraft for a long time, somewhere around 520 mph IIRC.  There are a few others used in the Unlimited class at Reno that have A-26 type spinners fitted.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 13, 2011, 04:08:08 PM
I don't quite follow that because the Bearcat 'Rare Bear' which was fitted with a Sea Fury type spinner, had the absolute speed record for a piston powered aircraft for a long time, somewhere around 520 mph IIRC.  There are a few others used in the Unlimited class at Reno that have A-26 type spinners fitted.

Exactly! I built a model of 'Rare Bear' in the Miss Smirnoff white and blue scheme with the spinner. I'd post a piccie if it wasn't one of the casualties, just need one gear leg though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 13, 2011, 04:08:08 PM
I've read somewhere that Grumman did test a spinner on the Bearcat, but the results were (at least officially) that it didn't improve the overall speed by very much (mind you, I could have read that about the Tigercat  :banghead: ).  I don't quite follow that because the Bearcat 'Rare Bear' which was fitted with a Sea Fury type spinner, had the absolute speed record for a piston powered aircraft for a long time, somewhere around 520 mph IIRC.  There are a few others used in the Unlimited class at Reno that have A-26 type spinners fitted.

The F7F prototypes and early production aircraft had spinners, however, I've never come across any
pictures or reference to the F8F being officially tested with a spinner. The F7F spinners were dispensed
with as unnecessary. Anyhow any speed increase on the F8F would probably have been extremely minor
and not considered worth the expense.

There are photos of at least one civil owned F8F-1 that was fitted with a spinner at some point in its life.

Also Rare Bear isn't really a good example as, along with a spinner, it was equipped with an R-3350
set up for max power production at low level.  ;D

kitnut617

I think it was the F7F I was reading about Jon, which I've found  Mosquito spinners works very well for if you want to convert one.

Yeah!, I realize that Rare Bear had the R-3350, but the jist of the post was that the spinner helped it get it's speed.  It was after seeing Rare Bear back in 1996 at the Reno races that I built the model.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 13, 2011, 05:16:54 PM
Also Rare Bear isn't really a good example as, along with a spinner, it was equipped with an R-3350

Plus a few other changes, like lopping 2 feet off each wing, and fitting a canopy slightly smaller than a wash basin!  ;D

But it looked great.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 13, 2011, 02:56:11 PM
That spinner improves the Bearcat out of all recognition.  :thumbsup:

Got to agree, makes it look even more lovely IMHO  :wub: I may retro fit my BPF one with one
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 14, 2011, 12:15:34 AM
Plus a few other changes, like lopping 2 feet off each wing, and fitting a canopy slightly smaller than a wash basin!  ;D

That's a matter of opinion.  Personally, I'm against converting classic warbirds into racers.  If you want a racer, get one built and stop mucking about with aircraft that are rare enough as it is.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

Plus a few other changes, like lopping 2 feet off each wing,

According to Squadron's F8F Bearcat in Action, the original wing design had it so that the outer two feet of the wing would detach itself when under very high 'G' loads with the idea being that it would save the rest of the wing from catastrophic failure and then for the aircraft to be able to get back to the ship.  Apparently the aircraft flew quite well with either one or both the tips gone but the USN didn't like the idea so the wing structure was altered so the wing tips didn't shed, and all the racers have done is remove this part of the wing.

There's some photos of some test aircraft with detached wingtips in the 'in Action' book.

Rheged

Do I read this correctly?    This gentleman  has   SHORTENED  the wings of an aeroplane?  This seems to be rather out of character.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitnut617

Quote from: Rheged on September 14, 2011, 06:27:48 AM

Do I read this correctly?    This gentleman  has   SHORTENED  the wings of an aeroplane?  This seems to be rather out of character.

No, not Kit  -- :lol:  the guy who built the real Rare Bear